CoCo Beach has Arrived!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh great. Drunk "watersports" adjacent to Bari. Just what are the watersports?

So basically somebody built a walled in sand box with an onsite restaurant and a DJ playing music?

Aside from the walled in bit, how is this significantly different from Eden Beach Resort's setup, with an artificial sand beach and the Spice Club?

Also, it's my understanding the 'locals' on Bonaire tend to be rather poor. I wonder who the actual main target audience is? Is the place large enough to get swamped with cruise ship excursion people?!?!?!*

Richard.

P.S.: Confession: I like to cruise...

Just a gentle reminder that tourism activities are hardly new to this location. Bonaire's first dedicated resort operated on this property from 1962 through the late 1990's.

Hotel Bonaire.jpg

Sunset Beach Resort.jpg

It may be old news and good for the local economy but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I admit to a particular fondness of Bari reef and quite possibly some possessiveness as well.

The prospect of "watersports" overhead is not at all appealing.

Sadly I have seen the damage a poorly thought out "beach development" created. The nice sandy beach turned into a "nice sandy bottom" with all the previous life buried beneath it and the shore returned to it's previous state. Mother Nature Won and Lost that engagement :(

Interesting post from deedeediver, considering the enthusiasm of her first post in the other thread

So basically somebody built a walled in sand box with an onsite restaurant and a DJ playing music?

Aside from the walled in bit, how is this significantly different from Eden Beach Resort's setup, with an artificial sand beach and the Spice Club?

Also, it's my understanding the 'locals' on Bonaire tend to be rather poor. I wonder who the actual main target audience is? Is the place large enough to get swamped with cruise ship excursion people?!?!?!*

Richard.

P.S.: Confession: I like to cruise...

Richard, surely, you jest

Yes I agree with you. We dont have to like it , but, I cannt speak for all the locals, just the Bonerians I have spoken to like the idea of a nice beach for their families since Pink Beach got washed away. I remember Pink Beach, it was very nice and the sand WAS pink.
But, progress happens.
I am not sure about the water sports either after diving Bari and I experienced it first hand. I dont think I like it, I am surprised Stinapa allowed it.

It may be old news and good for the local economy but that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I admit to a particular fondness of Bari reef and quite possibly some possessiveness as well.

The prospect of "watersports" overhead is not at all appealing.

You are right Scubadada!! I guess I was caught up in the moment of the event. But after thinking about the reef, I posted this because I realized I was a premature in promotion of the beach and what all is coming.
Good call!!
I am admit I was over zealous in my post for coco beach has arrived!!
My hope is that this posting will start Stinapa monitoring the whole thing.

Interesting post from deedeediver, considering the enthusiasm of her first post in the other thread

So, Bonaire Beach Hotel, later, Sunset Beach Hotel and Dive Center, was opened at this site in 1962, closed around 1998, burned, then razed. I don't see this as justification for building a bar/restaurant with DJ music until 11 PM, a fake beach, and a watersports center at the Front Porch. Some have become more environmentally conscious since the 60s.

I have stayed at Sand Dollar and Den Laman and enjoyed many fine dives on Bari Reef and at Something Special. I cringe to think how Coco Beach might affect this area. Front Porch is likely a goner.

I would have expected this on Grand Cayman, it's profoundly disappointing to hear it happened on Bonaire. Money is a powerful motivator. I wonder what's next, a dolphinarium, jet skis from the watersports center, shark feeding dives? Bonaire is near the top of my list of Caribbean dive destinations, it could just as easily come off, I don't think I'm alone.

Back
Top Bottom