CoCo Beach has Arrived!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wife and I went to CoCo beach after diving Bari reef and out in front of CoCo beach and had a really nice time... I'm really surprised that some of you divers think the island of Bonaire is only for you and not all the others that may find swimming and having a drink on the beach fun.. Or the people that find cruise ships a nice way to have a vacation... And GOD FORBID the local people fish and eat what they catch... We head back to bonaire 2/23 for 2 weeks of diving and we will go and have a drink at CoCo beach because it's a fun place and they did a really nice job building something for people to enjoy and put local people to work.. Win / Win in my book...

Jim....

We recently returned from 3 weeks on the island over the Christmas holidays, during which we enjoyed several dives at Bari Reef. Personally I think the recent improvements to the property are positive for all users. It doesn't appear that CoCo Beach is having a negative impact on shore or in the nearby sea.

I'm really surprised that some of you divers think the island of Bonaire is only for you and not all the others that may find swimming and having a drink on the beach fun.. Or the people that find cruise ships a nice way to have a vacation...

Did you ever visit the island before the large cruise ships started coming in? If memory serves, you discovered Bonaire in the last couple of years. If so I respectfully suggest that your comments lack comparative perspective of how Bonaire was before the pod people arrived. You also don't appear to be considering the future impact as their numbers continue to grow.

Bonaire currently receives about 75,000 overnight visitors a year. Those are the people that fly in, pay for accommodations, rent vehicles, buy food from local restaurants and markets, and engage in extended activities like wind surfing, kite surfing, snorkeling, and diving. For some activities, like diving, additional professional services for air fills, boat dives, or dive guides are also often purchased. I'm regularly one of those visitors, and have been so for 19 years now. This is the Bonaire I fell in love with.

When we first started visiting Bonaire there were no cruise ships other than an occasional appearance of the small Freewinds scientology ship. And then a few larger cruise ships started trickling in, and then a few more, and suddenly it seemed like a lot. Now it's out of control with no apparent end in sight. In 2012 Bonaire received 142,000 cruise ship "day-trip" visitors. According to TCB "Bonaire continues to grow its cruise tourism sector at an impressive rate, stemming from years of outreach with key industry executives leading to a projected increase in cruise arrivals to about 250,000 for the Calendar year 2015 season and to approximately 400,000 in 2016."

As it is today this little island of 13,000 people groans under the impact of 5,000 cruise ship visitors disgorging almost daily from cruise ships between November and April. Kaya (downtown) is suddenly congested. Traffic slows to a near halt as the pod-people wander about aimlessly and apparently cluelessly. Pasty white people with cameras walk down the middle of Kaya Gob. N. Debrot. Hoards of tour buses, vans, jeeps, taxis, scooters, electric golf carts, and bicycles laden with tourists slowly meander the roads at speeds well below other local traffic. Other than these tours they spend little money locally. You don't have to take my word for it. Ask local merchants or residents the next time you're on the island.

There's nothing nice about cruise ships visiting Bonaire from a diver's perspective. San Miguel de Cozumel used to be a fun place to visit too. Now Cozumel receives over 3 million cruise ship visitors annually. Most divers avoid downtown and hide in their resorts during their stays. I think that's pretty sad.

We were on Bon the first week of the month and never made it to Coco Beach but were willing to give it a try. We just didn't make it. Sounded like fun and worth a try.

On the cruise ship issue, I personally see it as a negative. I avoid islands that are overwhelmed with ships and on the islands I do visit with ships I look up the schedule and avoid and work around the crowds and arrivals. We were interested in Grand Turk until we learned about the terminal and amount of visits.

I know on some islands it is a love hate relationship for the locals as it does bring some economic benefit but also negatives as well.

On GCM we only go in to GTown when no ships are in, usually Sundays. On Bermuda, you can almost feel the pressure immediately increase on the island when one or more huge ships have berthed.

On our Bon visit, I was surprised to see two ships in our last two days. We avoided the downtown and almost skipped one of our favorite places/visits - hanging out at the Beach Hut for food, drink and relaxation our last afternoon on the island. Fortunately we went and the cruise folks didn't appear.

I know their are some on SB who cruise and dive and think it is great. More power to you. For me, not so much.

I wish I had a chance to visit Bonaire 20 years ago... We enjoy our Sep / Oct trips more than the Feb / Mar trips do to the larger numbers of divers and the cruise ships ... We tend to dive the spots where there are few if any trucks or dive boats moored ... We have seen the growth in just the few years we have been going to bonaire... When we dove Bari ref, We were turned off by all the divers on the reef that didn't know how to dive... I think they do more harm to the reef than beach sand sticking to people's feet as they go and swim off CoCo beach...

As to the cruise ships, The government must think it's a benefit to the island or they would just close the dock and that would be the end of the cruise ships... I guess it's the " No one but me should enjoy Bonaire " .. It seems some are upset that locals fish the waters !!! Or swim and snorkel the same reefs that they dive... Bonaire is for everyone, Even people that do things that I think are silly and not inline with my thinking...

I plan on building a second home on bonaire, So I'm part of the problem too...:(

Jim...

Oldschoolto, question - what did you do with your equipment while checking out CoCo? Is your truck close by and in sight?

Yes, It was right in view.. We got a table up on the deck with a good view of the truck... I do have a blue tarp that I use to cover the gear in the bed of the truck to keep the sun off it and out of view.. Locked the camera and dive computers in the truck.. There were people walking around and I felt it was more than safe, But i feel Bonaire is overall a very safe place..

Jim...

Reactions: mbs
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom