Coco View Resort in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, you forgot the optional ~0400-0500 dawn dive. If you are up to it, you can do six dives a day.

Out of my over 500 dives, 117 are on the two walls (Newman's & CCV), there is always so much to see, I never get bored.

Doc, you forgot the optional ~0400-0500 dawn dive. If you are up to it, you can do six dives a day.

Take pictures, show them to me at the dining area where I'll be drinking coffee.

I'll do a second night dive at 2200 hrs or later.

Catch you in the morning.

Out of my over 500 dives, 117 are on the two walls (Newman's & CCV), there is always so much to see, I never get bored.

That is something that is often brought up as a negative, decried as the repetitive nature of these two walls (you can easily dive each 5x in a week) Mostly by people who have never stayed at CCV, sometime by folks who just haven't learned to see anything more than rocks, shapes and architecture.

As K8 infers- it's all in the details. some folks say that you can vary the dive by changing your depth, but I rarely do this. I just slow down, usually getting quickly passed by most other divers. Go slow, get close, take a flashlight- use a glass magnifier.

I got so engrossed in looking at something on a drop-off dive that I actually owed 5 mins deco at 20fsw on the way in. Luckily K8 came by~ as I was sucking fumes.

And talk about repetitive! I actually skip the drop-off along the wall and have the boat drop me over the Prince Albert Wreck more often than not. I have the wreck and environs to myself for 30 minutes before the other drop-off diver appear. Hanging motionless in 50fsw at the stern- watching Eagle Rays and whatever else in the afternoon light.

It's all right there, 24/7/365, three minutes away from your room. I kinda' like the place.

All this talk about CCV, now I want to be back there right now!!! I found CCV and Newmans wall to be some to the best dives while in Roatan, therefore doing them several times each in one week was great. I also liked asking to do the Newmans wall long dive, rather then the shorter (normal) drop off point. I thought my room, which I have pictures on my link from the previous post was awesome, and way more then comfortable. Granted I only slept and showered there for the most part:)

Take pictures, show them to me at the dining area where I'll be drinking coffee.

I'll do a second night dive at 2200 hrs or later.

Catch you in the morning.

Not me, I'll be sleeping...

I've done dives on Newman's that were in excess of 128 minutes and NEVER got bored. Unequivocally, I can say that surface intervals are a necessary irritation in which I must do things like eat, go to the bathroom, and off-gas.

Diving with Doc and his lovely misses was an absolute pleasure. I thought I knew what it meant to do "macro" photography until I met him. He opened up my eyes and mind to a completely different world, and I will be forever indebted.

I can comment on CCV, Fantasy Island, and Anthony's Key resorts as I have stayed at all of them. Of the three, CCV wins hands down (IMHO). What can be said about CCV that hasn't already been expressed? It isn't a 5-star, fancy-schmancy place (I've stayed at plenty of them).....it's home, and the good people who work/vacation there are as much my family as my blood relatives.

The only way to truly understand is to go there for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

That is something that is often brought up as a negative, decried as the repetitive nature of these two walls (you can easily dive each 5x in a week) Mostly by people who have never stayed at CCV, sometime by folks who just haven't learned to see anything more than rocks, shapes and architecture.

As K8 infers- it's all in the details. some folks say that you can vary the dive by changing your depth, but I rarely do this. I just slow down, usually getting quickly passed by most other divers. Go slow, get close, take a flashlight- use a glass magnifier.

It's also worth pointing out that this is very easy diving for newer divers. The walls and the wreck are simple; you almost can't screw up the navigation. It's a good way to get experience and build confidence diving in very mild conditions with just a buddy and not a guide. You can get to know the walls, practice figuring out where you are from visual cues, work on re-finding those seahorses you found last dive, etc.

Like Ricky said, he's never been there.

The OP said he was looking for other options and why. I simply gave him another option and why. I have a non-diving spouse, so my needs are a little different than some. I do dive threee times a day and do a couple of night dives at Barefoot when I am there. I have dove off many 55' boats with 14-25 divers on board led by a DM and it can get very crowded depending on the dive site. I tolerate them as that is common in the states, especially N.C. and Virginia Beach where I do most of my diving. I just prefer 6 packs. Nothing against CCV, just providing other options as he requested.

Anthony's was a nice place! I stayed in a room up on the hill, which was comfortable/clean and had a good working AC unit. The hike up the hill from the dive shop wasn't that bad, but may be for those persons with physical limitations. Something like 155 steps as I recall. The food was good as was service. The buffet at CCV has the advantage in that you don't have to wait for your food to arrive table-side.

The dive OP is good, and when I was there the boats weren't crowded. Many of the days we had to load our gear into trucks and travel to the other side of the island for diving. They docked the boats near the airport and we left from there. This was due to the wave/current conditions around Anthony's. Inherently, this made shore diving problematic. I did dive the channel once, but didn't feel it was worth doing again. There is also shore diving from the key, but we were unable to do any diving because of conditions. It's a jagged rocky entry. Anthony's owns a island that they use as an animal sanctuary (wayward and injured animals). It was fun to do a surface interval/BBQ on the island because you can walk around and see all the animals. Monkeys, birds, cats, snakes, dolphins, rays....all kinds of critters to see up close.

They had weekly entertainment on the key, and there is a small museum on property. Anthony's also has several dolphins that they train/work with. For an additional fee, you can experience them in a hands-on manner. I didn't participate, but watched people interact with them while I sat on a dock. Nevertheless it was fun to see.

I think that Anthony's would be the better choice if you are traveling with non-divers, or small children. HBO chamber and clinic is located at Anthony's.

Here's a link to a few topside photos I took at Anthony's:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yellod...&authkey=Gv1sRgCKTb9Y2gqojTTQ&feat=directlink

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom