CoCo View Resort Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South4Scuba

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a week of diving at CoCo View Resort in Roatan. This was our first trip to CoCo View and we had a good week.

You may know that CoCo View's claim to fame is their repeat guest record. About 50% of their guests are repeats. I will likely be a repeat guest, but not several times a year like others. If I could make one comment to the management it would be that they should back off doting over the repeat guests some and make the new guests feel more at home. They obviously don't need to impress someone that has been there dozens of times.

The staff greet you at the Roatan airport and take you quickly to the resort by bus and then by boat. Luggage is handled 100% by the staff. That's a nice break when traveling with scuba gear.

The rooms are large and all have ocean views. We stayed in the basic land based room, but they also have rooms built over the water. The rooms and bathrooms need some upgrading. The bathroom fixtures and cabinets need to be replaced. Also, the rooms don't have a dresser or place to put clothes, so you sort of live out of a suitcase for a week. Addition of a simple dresser in each room would be a huge improvement. The rooms are air conditioned, but could not remove the high humidity.

There is no swimming pool or beach at this resort. It is not a great place to take a non-diver unless they are really into reading books under a tree or snorkeling.

Food is served 3 times per day buffet style. The food is very good and there was no shortage of it. There was good variety and all the usual staples. BBQ on the Cay was very good.

The bar at CCV is Dullsville. There is no night life at this resort. Most of their guests are so into diving that they just eat, sleep and dive. I like a resort with a little something to do at night. The bartenders are not friendly and never bothered to try to learn anyone's name or room number to charge drinks.

The diving was good near the resort on the south side. There were high winds all week which I think contributed to bad visibility. The channel in front of the resort was so silted up that you couldn't see 20 feet all week. We didn't even bother doing a night dive to the wreck in the channel. You should know that they really do two boat dives a day and the other two dives are drop off dives where you dive back to the resort along the same two walls. We prefer to do all dives from a boat at a different site each time.

We had a fun week with the divemaster and boat captain. They were very experienced and easy going. We got an odd boat that was smaller than the rest and had no side entry openings. Again, you would think they would put their first time guests on the best boat they have.

Overall, I would recommend this resort to avid divers that want to log as many dives in a week as their dive computer will allow them. For a more laid back relaxing dive vacation I would suggest a more luxurious resort with a pool, beach and perhaps some night life. CoCo View is a good value for the price. Their packages are pretty affordable which probably explains all the repeat business.

Reactions: Doc
Thanks for the review. I'm headed there in July for a late midlife crisis; I'll tell the non-diving child and spouse to bring their Kindle and plenty of e-books!

Thanks for the review. I'm headed there in July for a late midlife crisis; I'll tell the non-diving child and spouse to bring their Kindle and plenty of e-books!

Another record that CCV holds other than a huge number of repeat visitors... the most ever non-divers converted to Certified status.

Get them snorkeling in the Front Yard, or even better- get them to do a shallow Discover SCUBA. Once they get a glimpse of the shallow shore dive "Front Yard" and the intact upright 140' ship lying just offshore- you'll have established a new expense item in your annual budget.

The bar at CCV is Dullsville.

That would be about correct. But my guess is, you went to bed early on Wednesday night. That's Bare Nekkid Night at the bar. :eyebrow:

There is no night life at this resort.

True again- Nightlife? It's all located about 10 feet South of the Bar and Clubhouse where you walk into the Caribbean's warm waters for the night dive. :crafty:

Also, the rooms don't have a dresser or place to put clothes, so you sort of live out of a suitcase for a week.

My room had both (#15). I emptied my suitcases upon arrival, slid them beside the bed, and didn't touch them again until I packed for my return trip home.

I was happy that the bar wasn't rollin' all night. But then again, everyone has different needs/wants, so I'm not saying you're wrong.
I've been at other resorts where the party monsters kept me up all night......night after night. I think everyone is pretty tired after diving their brains out all day.

Did they have the fire dancers or other entertainment at the BBQ on the key? Unfortunately it was cancelled when I was there.

Attachments

• room1.jpg
    room1.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 731
Another record that CCV holds other than a huge number of repeat visitors... the most ever non-divers converted to Certified status.

Get them snorkeling in the Front Yard, or even better- get them to do a shallow Discover SCUBA. Once they get a glimpse of the shallow shore dive "Front Yard" and the intact upright 140' ship lying just offshore- you'll have established a new expense item in your annual budget.

Spouse actually has an OW cert after a "discover Scuba" dive, but never really enjoyed diving after the OW, and is now fearful or apprehensive. I won't push. Offspring? I don't know. I'll offer the "discover Scuba" thing (assuming personnel availability from the Dockside shop), but I won't push. Both enjoy snorkeling. I'll pack our own fins/snorkel gear (even though I know the resort has gear)

Remember, it's my midlife crisis, not theirs! :eyebrow:

Last edited:
.... and is now fearful or apprehensive.

The dive shop located at CCV is called "Dockside". The lady who runs it is perfect for these situations. I sit at her feet and simply listen. She has taught me more than anyone else about being an instructor. Give Patty Grier a shot at this: Dockside Dive Center link Drop her an email and tell her your issues. If she is available during your time frame, I would heartily recommend that your uneasy diver give her a try.

Like the OP said, CCV is a diver's place. Looking at the surface of the water there doesn't tell the wonders of what lies in the shallows beneath.

I think at the Playa Miguel Beach Houses they do, yes. They're far enough away to keep non-SCUBA kids muffled, they're close enough to make the Club House accessible.

I did not know that CCV allowed non-diving children as guests???

10 yrs and older are allowed.

12 yrs and older take adult rate.

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom