Cocoview as a single diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first trip to Cocoview was a solo venture. I've been back 3 more times with the same group I met there. Instant buddies, lifelong friends.

Excellent -- thanks everyone for chiming in! I'm gonna go for it.

As for the June trip, wish I could make it then, but I've already got summer plans all lined up.

Are you paying the single supplement?

Be sure to report back upon your return. Let us know how it went for you.

I think I'm going to spring for the single supplement because I want to guarantee I have my own space to chill out at night. (I have a strong case of introversion.)

Anyway, email sent to reservations and flight on hold. Best winter break yet!

Extroversion will bring you a lot closer to your goal of finding dive buddies.:wink:

Introversion is good after things slow down at night (the resort usually goes silent around 2100hrs).

Well, that's the point! I can enjoy a day of socializing if I've got my own little bubble to retreat back to at night.

Another note: while it's easy to shore dive at night, yes, you CAN hire a DM to take you on a night dive there. Last year at Christmas a friend and I paid to have one of the DMs (actually it was Ruben, a boat captain at CCV, but he's a DM too) lead us on a guided night dive, and it was awesome! I've never done that before, and while it's certainly not necessary at CCV, it was really worth the money. Because he dives there all the time, he led us to specific hangouts for seahorses and such that we probably wouldn't have found on our own at night.

I have been to CCV eight times - 6x on my own. Several times between 10-14 days. I've always signed up for the roommate plan. Had roommates 3x - all have been fine. Remain friends with one and the other two were quiet and friendly during the trip. As a underwater photographer, I usually am the last one up at night in the clubhouse working on photos and I almost always do night dives, and often early morning transition dives. The staff is good about allowing solo divers - not looking to get into a discussion on the merits/risks/rewards of solo diving, but the diving at CCV is about as easy as it gets most of the time. Once you dive CoCoView Wall, Newman's Wall, the Prince Albert, da plane, and the channel (great muck diving) several times, you can navigate almost with your eyes closed. If the "Front yard" is tossing and visibility is bad in the evening, best to call it a night, relax, and have a drink. Things change pretty quickly there often times, so if viz isn't good at any point in time, don't worry, it will change.

PS. I met a wonderful woman doing her divemaster/instructor there almost 5 years ago. We became friends and did many night and morning dives together. We stayed in touch over the years via email. Last summer we got together to dive in a quarry in PA and have been dating ever since! You never know what you'll find at CCV!

Photos from my last 6 trips to CCV can be found at Message

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom