Cold Lake Ice Diving Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbirch

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got my ice diving course over the weekend, thanks to the fine instructors at Aquatek in Edmonton.

We cut the hole Saturday. About 6' x 8', 25" of ice. Took about an hour and a half.

Sunday we dove. Weather was decent, about -12 centigrade. Vis for the lake was excellent, about 35'. Likely would have been better with some sun. Water was a refreshing 35 - 37 degrees F, and we bottomed out around 45'. Got to watch some ling cod doing what they do. Which is basically sit there on the bottom.

My only real mishap was popping the seal on one of my dry gloves, which got a little cold.

Most of us were diving Apex regs, one dove Scubapro regs. Most of us were ok, one had multiple freeflows. Big 'OK' sign for the Apex crowd. :D

A dozen or so area divers also came out and dove a second hole down to 70 or 80'.

All in all a good day of diving.

(Yes, I'm aware that I'm mixing imperial and metric horribly. Trying to train myself out of it.)

Sweet. that sounds like fun. I'm getting prepped for my ice diving course at the end of march. Luckily I have the apex atx200's now and dry gloves. Two new additions to my gear.

glbirch

I spent a number of years up there but I never did dive in the Lake. Perhaps I should one of these days!

Thanks for the report

mark

Back
Top Bottom