Cold water diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tie a string around your "parts" so you can pull them back out after the dive. :)

Or find a warm body to help you coax them out!:D

This is a great thread. I am planning on getting into cold water diving in the next few months when I do my AOW, and it's been helpful

Bring your warm water with you ... I always bring along 2 gallons in a cooler to dump over my head after the dive. It warms you up right away and makes surface interval so much more pleasant.

If you're in a wetsuit, dumping some down the inside of the suit from your neck feels real good. If in a drysuit, take off your hood and dump it over your head while wearing the suit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have been switching between warm water diving in the Red Sea and cold water diving in Scottish sea lochs I would say the biggest issue for me is the lack of mobility due to the bulk of the kit. Followed by how dark and gloomy it is. I all ways have a flask of something warm to drink between dives and also a nice cosy hat thats the first thing to go on after a dive.

I noticed the other day that a number of BSAC clubs run mini-courses for 'vacation divers' who want to try diving in the UK. What advice would people give to divers who are used to warm clear water, but who were contemplating a dive in cold green northern waters?

It's a completely different experience. Temperatures in the North Sea vary between 30 and 40 degrees. So it's cold and you need a dry suit and plenty of insulation. Because of this, the dry suit you currently own may not be large enough to use. Add to this Dry Gloves and inner gloves, you can feel encumbered.

Because of the lost flexibility, regular tasks that are often not considered take on new meaning. Valve drills, buddy breathing and most other tasks are more difficult. You are more limited and you may be required to depend upon your in-water ability.

You should be conscious of your regulator when you inhale. After some time the sensation of feeling in your lips is lost and your regulator can fall out of your mouth without you realizing it. This is one of the reasons why commercial divers use a full-face mask/Helmet.

Tides, currents and waves are often a major safety consideration, the environment is harsh and good dive planning (in and out of the water) is required. Your gas consumption may go through the roof, so don't take anything for granted. Good dive planning as always is critical.

If you are in blue water, you need to have survival equipment that may include food, water, EPIRB and strobe. Unless the dive's a short one, you may not wish to plan a second the first time around.

I have been switching between warm water diving in the Red Sea and cold water diving in Scottish sea lochs I would say the biggest issue for me is the lack of mobility due to the bulk of the kit. Followed by how dark and gloomy it is. I all ways have a flask of something warm to drink between dives and also a nice cosy hat thats the first thing to go on after a dive.

In Scotland I assume this would be a flask of one of their fine single malts :wink:

(joking, I know that while it may feels that it's warming you up alcohol is not a good thing to drink in that situation, it won't help at all)

Last edited:
I'd advise:

-start the dive warm, even overheating if you can, if you start it cold you'll only get colder really fast
-wear a drysuit + proper thermals if you can afford it, use a hood and appropriate gloves (i.e. ones you can still manipulate things with, but are warm enough)
-if in a wetsuit in between dives get out of your wetsuit and put on really warm dry clothes including a beanie
-weight yourself appropriately for the new exposure suit - lots of people put too much on and overcompensate
-when planning dives add conservatism to your expected gas consumption as you will use more if you are cold (mine will increase by 2-3L/min in cold water and even higher if I get really cold)
-use an appropriate regulator if diving below 8C (I think it is 8C were freeflowing starts to become a bigger risk, someone can correct this if it is wrong)
-give yourself more time to do tasks underwater that require mobility as mobility is often reduced with thicker exposure suits
-drink warm drinks like hot chocolate (but not caffinated ones)
-start simple with dives

Another problem when diving cold is when you dress with thick underwear and dry suit you can easily over heat in the sun, so make sure when you dress up its is only a few minutes before your dive. For example Lake Ontario has as many as two thermoclines surface temp could be 80F but at depth say 100 ft on the Munson the temps could be in the low 50's so if you are sweating when you start your dive you will cool very quick at depth, For me wreck diving up here in Canada is just as pleasing as diving down south in the caribbean.

My 2cents. Before you start your dive remove your mask, get the sensation of the cold water rushing into your mask and hitting your face. Also make sure your teeth are in good shape, if they are cold sensitive you'll know it real quick!

My 2cents. Before you start your dive remove your mask, get the sensation of the cold water rushing into your mask and hitting your face. Also make sure your teeth are in good shape, if they are cold sensitive you'll know it real quick!

What are the benefits of removing your mask to have cold water on your face?

Back
Top Bottom