Cold water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

off the grid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went diving this week in Montana and our computers both said the water temperature was 30 degrees at about 60 feet. I understand that increased pressure will lower the freezing point but didn't think it would be that much at that depth. Just wondering what the coldest water temps anyone has experienced in fresh water?

Have you considered the possibility that your thermometers might be slightly in error?

I have seen 28F in Salt water but not fresh, what was you altitude?

If you don't have to cut a HOLE in the top to get in...

DSC05951e.jpg

...THE WATER ISN'T COLD!

Yeah, I don't think it's been cold enough for long enough, even in the mountains of Montana, to hit 30 yet. What did your buddy's computer say?

Wooo!
Already, I love this thread! I am sending it to a couple of friends! RJP! I am with you! I am going ice diving at Okoboji, Iowa in February!

OffTheGrid,
I don't have a real good answer for you offhand. Thermodynamics says:
1) There is a modest a relationship between increasing pressure and increasing freezing point.
2) There a a moderately strong relationship between increasing molality (one measure of salt / impurity content) and decreasing freezing point.

As has been mentioned, your temp gauges could be slightly off.

Also, question to you. Does your nickname imply that you are off the national power grid? :D

If you don't have to cut a HOLE in the top to get in...

DSC05951e.jpg

...THE WATER ISN'T COLD!
Join the Navy. THE WATER IS NEVER COLD! :D

We came very close to an Ice Dive last night.:shakehead:

Gary D.

We were diving at about 4000 feet altitude. Both computers said 30. I know phase diagrams for fresh water show an initial decrease in freezing point with increased pressure but not that much. Just odd both computers would be off. I'll have to check again this weekend. Gary, were you doing an SAR dive or just recreational?

Ice diving is beautiful ! :D

In Switzerland, I dive under ice in 6085 feet altitude :

2284Lac_Lioson_15-med.jpg

2284Lac_Lioson_16-med.jpg

2284Lac_Lioson_14-med.jpg

2284Lac_Lioson_12-med.jpg

2284Lac_Lioson_5-med.jpg

2284Lac_Lioson_8-med.jpg

Those are some cool(!) pics Tomeck! What kind of fish is it I see in one??!

Here are some from me: Ice, Ice, Baby!

Takes a while to load I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom