"Cold" Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the cold months I dive a DUI 50/50 with full DUI undies underneath. Coldest dive is 35 degrees in mid March on the St. Clair River in Michigan. Dove the same river today. Temp was 44. Was very nice. Dressed properly the experience is not cold.

32F saltwater a couple times. In a drysuit, of course. I knew it was going to be my coldest dive because there was saltwater ice on the shore. :D

First time was with 7mm mitts and hood....the pain made me switch to drygloves and an ice cap underhood. Second time wasn't bad at all. :)

For really cold water, I use Weezle Extreme Plus with extra layers of fleece or polypropylene insulation where needed, such as on the chest. Drygloves. Ice cap underhood and 7mm overhood. I avoid constriction of the extremities with ample fit.

I've missed out by never having had a "freeze up" or free flow. I think I saw someone else have a free flow once. Must be rare in the northeast. :D

Dave C

Heres a couple of shots

Attachments

• Fingers_.jpg
    Fingers_.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 76
  • Pir8 003.JPG
    Pir8 003.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 84
I dived wet in 39F with a Henderson 5mil Cold Core, plus a 3/5 vest/hood combo. I was at 95 ft for 40 minutes. I was good for a second dive, but my buddy (in a 7 mil semidry) was too cold. At depth, my gloves felt as thin as latex (first aid) gloves. I was chilly, but not anywhere close to hypothermic or "deer hunting cold" afer my dive.

Enjoy the warmer weather ... get wet!

-- Bri

What is the coldest water that you have been in and how do you dress for it?

What are some of your greatest "freeze up" stories?

Where in the Cold do you dive?
I once dove a 72 degree cold spring, and got a drysuit because of the extreme cold....true story :popcorn:

In Sault Ste Marie Ontario.
Lake Superior in the winter is chilly on the willy.
Good diving though!

Absolutely!! I love the diving in the big lake..
The wrecks are amazing.. and there is nothing better than diving in 40 degree water on a 100 degree day.. I might just try it wet this year..

WOW!! This thread went over big...
That is good.. I love hearing everyones stories..
My coldest is 33F in Lake Superior
Its funny though, because I have been at Ice Dive's where the water is warmer than that..
I just bought a Typhoon Prosport Suit from Mike at DRIS and am looking forward to that..
I have MK2 undies and wear poly under that..
Dry Gloves (Viking Pullovers) with Poly gloves for liners.. I really want to get some heated one's..
A whites dry hood and that is about it.. I need to get larger gloves, but other than that I am really warm when I dive.
dives usually last about 35-40 mins

The regs I used on the 33 degree where the Dive Rite RG2500 WOW!!
I need to buy me a set o those...

37 deg. in Lake Michigan in April.
I wear a White's Catalyst (though I'm coveting a Fusion...) with a Weezle Extreme +, rock boots, hood, and "Smurf" dry gloves.
Dives last 30-50 minutes depending on depth of the wreck.
My reg is an Atomic Z1 with environmental kit added; never a free flow or freeze-up.

34 in January at Rockport, Ontario. I dived in wet suit 14 mil. I did 45 minutes. It wasn't ice diving.

Back
Top Bottom