Cold water gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CattMollins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just tried out my new kodiak semidry last night in 42 degrees for 45 minutes. Used the 7 mm Henderson stretchy gloves. Body was plenty warm from the suit. Hands were getting pretty cold toward the end of the dive. Any suggestions? I'm not aware of any handwarmers that you could wear under your gloves.

IMHO it's not a matter of the gloves, your body was cold, when your body get's cold it cuts of the circulation from your hands first. So while your body felt warm it was in fact getting too cold so it cut the circulation from the hands. You can try to put more stuff on your core

I think this depends entirely on the individual. Some of us aren't blessed with wonderful circulation in the hands and feet to begin with and have a difficult time keeping them warm.
I cross country ski which generates plenty of heat at the core, in fact the challenge is avoiding getting overheated to the point of sweating excessively and risking your clothes freezing on a break (DAMHIK). Anyway no matter how much excercise I get or how much heat I retain/generate at the core my fingers will invariably get cold. Not horrible when temps are in the 20s, but below zero it can get downright painful...thank god for hand warmers!
I would suggest trying three finger gloves or anything closer to a mitten than a glove, let your fingers keep each other warm(er).

IMHO it's not a matter of the gloves, your body was cold, when your body get's cold it cuts of the circulation from your hands first. So while your body felt warm it was in fact getting too cold so it cut the circulation from the hands. You can try to put more stuff on your core

well yes it does depends upon the individual, but 45 mins at 42 degrees in 8/6mm suit would wash these differences away, that's pretty cold for that kind of suit :)

OP however can try using dry-gloves , those that come with latex seals on them

So I just tried out my new kodiak semidry last night in 42 degrees for 45 minutes. Used the 7 mm Henderson stretchy gloves. Body was plenty warm from the suit. Hands were getting pretty cold toward the end of the dive. Any suggestions? I'm not aware of any handwarmers that you could wear under your gloves.

Congrats on staying warm in a wetsuit at 42 degrees. I have a pair of Bare 7mm three fingered gloves for cold water. Extremely warm at the expense of manual dexterity.

I found that the XS 5mm Semi-dry gloves, they call them the Dry Five, were warmer than my old 7mm gloves. The seams are glued and sealed and you have an actual neoprene seal around the wrist. Without the water infiltration, they are surprisingly warm.

gv_400.jpg

Hey I have the answer try these XS Scuba's Dry 5 gloves. They are excellent gloves in cold water. I dove New Years Eve in Dutch Springs in PA. The water temp was 39 deg, although my body got cold in my Dry-suit, my hands weren't. One of my friends asked to borrow my gloves on his dive, and he purchased them also. You can thank me later, they are the best gloves on the market.

PS......I hate cold hands!!!

As Elan has aluded to in his post it's not a matter of the gloves. You can wear 7mm, 10mm, 25mm gloves and hand warmers under them and it still wont help. The reason your hands are getting cold is because your core body temperature is decreasing. When this happens the body's self defense mechanism for hypothermia is to reduce circulation to extremities in order to preserve your vital organs' (brain, Heart, Lungs, Liver, Kidneys...) temperature at a functional level. So, unfortunately with this type of suit your options are: 1. reduce dive time; 2. increase core protection (thicker wet suit, more undergarments, or dry suit). Unless you take any of the 2 options above wearing thicker gloves will only hide the on-setting symptoms of hypothermia. Hope this helps... Besides, what do you want to to for 42 minutes in 45 degree water without adequate protection? I can think of more fun ways to spend 45 minutes :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom