Cold Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveoahu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to California waters, coming from Hawaii's water, where my coldest dive was probably between 75-78 dregrees. I keep reading postings about "Cold Water". What is considered "Cold Water"? I haven't made any dives in California yet, so I don't know if these waters are considered "Cold". I know they are a lot colder than anything in Hawaii (by about 20 degrees) . I am thinking of getting a new reg, and a lot of emphesis is put on whether you dive cold water. Please enlighten me.

Cold is a relative term. In Canada, cold to me is anything under about 40F degress or so down to freezing (or colder). If you're referring to cold water regs, I would think that that would be referring to those regs that are less prone to freeze ups due to adiabatic cooling in cold environments (diaphram, sealed first stage, etc). I would think that you would have no problems in 50F water or warmer. I've only dove California once in late December, and the water was plenty warm (at least to me) in the high 50s.

cold water is a relative term, i guess. the key is, what protection are you going to use?

for me, in anything to 70 degrees, a 3 mil farmer john is fine. down to 50 degrees, i would dive a 7 mil suit or a 5 mil farmer. below 50 degrees, it would be dry suit time (i don't know, i've never used a dry suit. i just suspect strongly that it would not be pleasant for me to dive wet below 50 degress, being a wus who freezes easily).

so i guess, for me, "below 50 degrees" is cold (i.e. where i would start using a dry suit). but there are those who will dive in the 40's with a 7 mil wet suit (WHY???).

so, it's all relative

:wink:

60 is freeezing!!!

(see?)

I agree... freezing is when you need a chain saw to go diving. Been out about 5 times this winter -10 with windchill was the coldest on the surface thus far.. water temp -5 at surface -2 at depth.... and I love it :p Drysuit diving now.. was doing it in wet for a short time.....

Diving wet in 32F water hasn't been much of a problem. The last time out I brought both my drysuit and wetsuit and opted for wet. It's really dealing with it after you get out is the issue for me.

I like to use the same rationale as regulator manufacturers. Anything below 50 deg F is cold water. Since I dive "cold water" most of the time, I have environmentally sealed first stages, and heat exchangers on all of my second stages (Apeks regs). I also use a drysuit most of the time as well.
WHen the water temp is above 50 deg F, you dont have to worry about environmental seals, and heat exchangers so much.

Diveoahu:
I'm new to California waters, coming from Hawaii's water, where my coldest dive was probably between 75-78 dregrees. I keep reading postings about "Cold Water". What is considered "Cold Water"? I haven't made any dives in California yet, so I don't know if these waters are considered "Cold". I know they are a lot colder than anything in Hawaii (by about 20 degrees) . I am thinking of getting a new reg, and a lot of emphesis is put on whether you dive cold water. Please enlighten me.

I did a couple of dives in Monterey yesterday, and registered the water at 54 degrees. While it is "cold" water, relative to what you're used to in Hawaii, it's not as cold as those who dive in 30's and 40's degree water (I don't know how you guys do it). You probably won't need to spend the extra cash to get a specific "cold" water reg if the coldest diving you'll be doing is off California. Money would probably be better spent on good exposure protection, i.e., drysuit.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver/Nitrox

Back
Top Bottom