Cold Water??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Here's my amateur newbie question of the day:

I'm in the market for my first regulator. I see comments about regs being cold water regs vs not. What I can't find is "What is considered cold water?".

Most of my diving is definitively warm water > 70 degrees. With occasional quarry diving ~ 50 degrees.

Do I need a cold water specified reg, or will just about anything be ok?

At what temp do I need to be concerned with a non-cold water reg free-flowing or not functioning?

The defining point of cold water is subjective. I've seen cold water defined as 40 degrees or less. I've also seen cold water defined as anything less than 80 degrees. In my experience I've seen second stages let go in 48 degree water.

I have often dived with my regular (bought used 13 years ago) Mares reg. in temps. well below 50F, and as cold as 33F (a dive May 26, 2007 to 120'--that was a dive for 15 minutes wet....) with no problems. Perhaps they all differ and I've been lucky?

Agreeing. "cold" water when speaking of regs is water cold enough to possibly freeze up or cause the reg to malfunction without special handling or design characteristics.

Specifically, I've never been concerned with 50 as cold for that consideration even though without adequate thermal protection that's cold for a diver and might be called cold by Padi.

Regards,
Cameron

This is what I've been using since I certified (about 260 dives). Dove it to 130'. Dove it in cold (42°F) water deep. Dove it working in silt. Never a hickup. I don't think it can be beat - huge bang for the buck at $150 for both 1st & 2nd stages.

"Cold water" reg is kind of a misnomer. The technical name is "environmentally sealed" meaning that the innards stay dry or are otherwise insulated from the water. Sherwood uses a dry bleed system that is decades old and just plain works.
Other mfg's use an environmental seal on their diaphragm regs that keep the water out.
Another way to insulate that is generally seen in piston regs is to pack the ambient chamber with christolube and put a heavy rubber band over the holes that normally allow water in.
There really is no sense today to NOT get an environmentally sealed diaphragm reg or the Sherwood dry bleed. Not only does it help prevent icing, it also keeps all the sand, silt, vegetation, and critters out of the reg. Makes rinsing and servicing easier. Cost wise an environmentally sealed reg should be maybe 10-20 bucks more than an unsealed version. If it's more than that, look at other brands. I do my best to only sell customers sealed regs and keep the cost difference as low as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom