Collecting antique bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found this PepsiCola bottle underneath the sand fairly deep off the coast of Okinawa Feb 24 2010. I dont know anything about bottles so this bottle might be 10rs old or 50yrs old :idk:

2922220350100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

Closeup of the PepsiCola logo...

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/22394/2480853220100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice Pepsi bottle, it looks like it has a different shape then the ones found in Canada.
I returned from my trip to Florida where we were looking for Shark's teeth. We did find some good ones before heading to Gennie Springs. Then we went to St. Augustine to do some bottle diving in the harbour by the old fortress but we found out that there is no diving permitted in the area. Persumable to prevent divers from salvaging these artifacts. So we go to the fortress for a look at the artifacts that are there only to find out that they have next to none on display. Then from on top of the fort we could see that in the harbour, right where the ships use to anchor they were constructing a new bridge and destroying the sea floor and all the artifacts that were there. I have seen this sort of thing happen here as well but at least we can get in the water to save these items before they dredge it or land fill it. I wonder did they do any kind of archeoiogical survay of the area prior to premitting the work to start? My guess is they didn't.
Any way that's my rant for today.
We missed a good bottle dive while we were camping in FL, I have inclosed a pic. of the finds (might not come through due to size) plus the shark teeth that we found.
If you live in an area that permits bottom scronging count your blessings that you have the fredom to do so, its up to us to preserve these artifacts because the bureaucrats wont do it and eventually they we be destroyed. (still ranting aren't I).
Any way good hunting.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00108.jpg
    IMG00108.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 146
  • P2210003.jpg
    P2210003.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 143
Well, I just returned from another trip, this time it was to Winnipeg in the middle of our country where ther is no real diving. There is a dive shop there, I saw it with my own two eyes, Kind of feel sorry for them there.
Is any one out there still bottle diving, when I was away my buddies were out and recovered some goodies that I thought I would post some pics. Picture 031.jpg

DSC_4057.JPG

DSC01667.jpg Interested parties would like to see your finds.
You only have one life to live so get off you a_s and dive. ZDD

Well, I got out on Sunday and the top side conditions couldn't have been better but when we went over the side the vis 2 ft at best. I droped down to 92 ft and couldn't see squat, moved up to 60-40 ft where I had some vis, water temp was 34 deg. F, nice and warm for around here. All I came up with were these 2 bottles from around the turn of the century. Well it was better then getting skunked.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00137.jpg
    IMG00137.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 244
Nice bottles, hoping to get out and try a few spots around here this summer,

Wel lit doen't look like I am going to get out this weekend, (bad head cold) but it would be nice to see what people found this weekend. If any of you get out for a bottle dive and find some goodies please post some pics of them.
ZDD

Great thread mudpuppy.

Nice to see some other divers from southern ontario into old bottles. I've been diving mostly in the St Lawerance and Georgian Bay areas for the last 25 years and have many interesting finds. My wife thinks I'm nuts and keeps telling me to clean out the junk but I have fun with it and it keeps me out of trouble. I keep a log of all my finds in a notebook with photos and info such as date, location, site conditions and any follow up information I can dig up about the item. I make it a policy not to remove bottles or items from wrecks so that others may enjoy. There seems to be more than enough cast offs and random bottles lying about the bottom anyway. Would love to get down to your river sometime if you are interested. Here are just a few of my finds.

Attachments

• bottle finds 001.jpg
    bottle finds 001.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 154
  • bottle finds 002.jpg
    bottle finds 002.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 158
1959 no embossing ,but mint cond.found it back in oct.near sandy hook.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 243

Back
Top Bottom