Coltri MCH-6 EM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven Collins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Coltri compressor that has been working fine for the last few year's it has stopped working when I looked at the capacitors one has sort of exploded. I am trying to get hold of another but the part number no longer exists on Ducati Energis who provide them. can anyone assist it's shows on the part at item code 16.10.3085 but when I try to find one the part number does not exist anymore. has the part been superseded ?? Help please fellow divers

don't buy italian electronics :p

also, go to the manufacturers product page and ask for help.
Looking through their website, you probably missed a 4. so 4.16.10

Please give the rest of the information on the capacitor and we can help figure it out. Capacitors are pretty generic between manufacturers, so you don't need to stay with Ducati Energia, just need to have the right specifications on it.
https://www.ducatienergia.com/media/products/170605-1154-4649-cond-motori-07-2013-web.pdf

If we look at their thing. Series 4.16.10.xx.kk
Capacitance based on part number of XX being 30 would indicated a 50uF capacitance with a dimension of 45mmx117mm
KK is their accessory codes and unfortunately 85 is not on there so that may be a specific part for Coltri which is probably a custom label in conjunction with specifying the mounting type *typically stud type and size.

Please post a picture of the label on the capacitor as well as the capacitor itself so we can try to help further. You should be able to go to your local motor/electronics shop or even grab one on amazon from a different vendor with the same specs. This is a run capacitor not a start capacitor which is an important difference as well.
We think we know the capacitance which is arguably the most important part because that's the one thing that you don't want to change, so 50uF is the real critical bit. Since you're in the UK, odds are you're running 230v ish, and most capacitors are rated at 400v+ and on here, bigger is irrelevant, but smaller is bad. You're running on 50hz, and most capacitors are fine to run at 50hz or 60hz so that's not an issue.
The size and studs will depend on how it is mounted and wired in. You can change to a different size/stud but you then have to change wiring, so staying with the same size/style will make your life easier.

@rcontrera is our local Coltri expert and may have the updated part number for the MCH-6 EM's motor run capacitor if you want to buy direct from the manufacturer

Thanks tbone.. here are some pictures of the part i did get one from RS components rated 50. Fitted it turned it on motor started and then the fuse in the plug blew. Last picture is the new part i fitted i wired it up the same way as the old one

Attachments

• 15714768787811617677335.jpg
    15714768787811617677335.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 15714769314881844153648.jpg
    15714769314881844153648.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 15714771959511251627598.jpg
    15714771959511251627598.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 92
don't buy italian electronics :p

also, go to the manufacturers product page and ask for help.
Looking through their website, you probably missed a 4. so 4.16.10

Please give the rest of the information on the capacitor and we can help figure it out. Capacitors are pretty generic between manufacturers, so you don't need to stay with Ducati Energia, just need to have the right specifications on it.
https://www.ducatienergia.com/media/products/170605-1154-4649-cond-motori-07-2013-web.pdf

If we look at their thing. Series 4.16.10.xx.kk
Capacitance based on part number of XX being 30 would indicated a 50uF capacitance with a dimension of 45mmx117mm
KK is their accessory codes and unfortunately 85 is not on there so that may be a specific part for Coltri which is probably a custom label in conjunction with specifying the mounting type *typically stud type and size.

Please post a picture of the label on the capacitor as well as the capacitor itself so we can try to help further. You should be able to go to your local motor/electronics shop or even grab one on amazon from a different vendor with the same specs. This is a run capacitor not a start capacitor which is an important difference as well.
We think we know the capacitance which is arguably the most important part because that's the one thing that you don't want to change, so 50uF is the real critical bit. Since you're in the UK, odds are you're running 230v ish, and most capacitors are rated at 400v+ and on here, bigger is irrelevant, but smaller is bad. You're running on 50hz, and most capacitors are fine to run at 50hz or 60hz so that's not an issue.
The size and studs will depend on how it is mounted and wired in. You can change to a different size/stud but you then have to change wiring, so staying with the same size/style will make your life easier.

@rcontrera is our local Coltri expert and may have the updated part number for the MCH-6 EM's motor run capacitor if you want to buy direct from the manufacturer
Thanks tbone1004 I have added pictures as requested

Thanks tbone.. here are some pictures of the part i did get one from RS components rated 50. Fitted it turned it on motor started and then the fuse in the plug blew. Last picture is the new part i fitted i wired it up the same way as the old one

so finding a direct replacement is easy, however if it also blew a fuse then something more than the capacitor may be wrong. They typically won't blow fuses on their own. The new one you have is the same thing at least internally. The .85 is an accessory code but that won't cause any electrical issues if you have a different one.

blowing the fuse means something pulled more current than it is supposed to. Sounds like you have something wrong with the motor itself, potentially backfeeding current or a short somewhere

so finding a direct replacement is easy, however if it also blew a fuse then something more than the capacitor may be wrong. They typically won't blow fuses on their own. The new one you have is the same thing at least internally. The .85 is an accessory code but that won't cause any electrical issues if you have a different one.

blowing the fuse means something pulled more current than it is supposed to. Sounds like you have something wrong with the motor itself, potentially backfeeding current or a short somewhere
Or a stuck start switch. Or depending on if the motor really "started" a start switch that is not making contact.

Or a stuck start switch. Or depending on if the motor really "started" a start switch that is not making contact.
would that blow the fuse. every time I go to turn it on it wants to start then blows the fuse each time. where would the start switch be ?, what I mean is that the on off switch works so thought I might take the motor off and check the wiring at the motor end as the wiring in to the capacitors looks ok and also checked to see if they are charging and discharging ok, which they are

would that blow the fuse. every time I go to turn it on it wants to start then blows the fuse each time. where would the start switch be ?, what I mean is that the on off switch works so thought I might take the motor off and check the wiring at the motor end as the wiring in to the capacitors looks ok and also checked to see if they are charging and discharging ok, which they are

if something is shorted in the start circuit it could absolutely cause that. Need to get a multimeter and find the short

update.. I have checked the wiring on the motor and put it back together.. the motor runs fine off the compressor and when I attach the motor again runs ok. the problem seems to be when under load. what I mean is when I attach a cylinder to the compressor it blows a fuse. when I change the fuse and take the cylinder off it runs fine again. that is until I put a cylinder on the compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom