Coltri MCH-6 EM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

would that blow the fuse. every time I go to turn it on it wants to start then blows the fuse each time. where would the start switch be ?, what I mean is that the on off switch works so thought I might take the motor off and check the wiring at the motor end as the wiring in to the capacitors looks ok and also checked to see if they are charging and discharging ok, which they are
Yes a start switch stuck on will blow the fuse. But the motor will start and come up to speed first. Start switch not making contact, the motor may kind of rotate but not start and the fuse will blow. Start switch is normally under the end cover opposite shaft end, around the shaft. Does it come up to speed and then blow or only try to turn?

update.. I have checked the wiring on the motor and put it back together.. the motor runs fine off the compressor and when I attach the motor again runs ok. the problem seems to be when under load. what I mean is when I attach a cylinder to the compressor it blows a fuse. when I change the fuse and take the cylinder off it runs fine again. that is until I put a cylinder on the compressor.

How long did you let it run without the cylinder attached? What is the PMV set to, and what pressure did it kick off with the bottle attached?

update.. I have checked the wiring on the motor and put it back together.. the motor runs fine off the compressor and when I attach the motor again runs ok. the problem seems to be when under load. what I mean is when I attach a cylinder to the compressor it blows a fuse. when I change the fuse and take the cylinder off it runs fine again. that is until I put a cylinder on the compressor.

Relaively speeking that is normal. you have a start and run capacitor to get it going and keep it going. Try this..... do a condensate drain then start the compressor and see if the fuse blowing stops. this is a symptom of too high start up current. normally thins is an issue of large motors that pull say 50 amps to start and when running uses 10. You I think are seeing this because even if you have a small motor the motor can not get up to speed quick enough to counter the start up current. The resistance to the motor start is the system back pressure. Let me guess you push start and you hear a ever louder humm until the fuse blows. This is akin to driving an old stick shift car. If in first gear you can do it and when it starts the car moves. but you cant barely crank it when it is in high gear and you smoke the starter motor after too many attempts. IF nope had a slow engaging centrifical clutch on the compressor you would not have that problem. but compressors do not have such things. DO THE DRAIN THING AND LET ME KNOW....

@KWS better articulated, that's where I was getting to with my line of questioning. What is weird though is I would assume the startup procedure is the same as it has been and that this is a new symptom since the run capacitor blew.

Are you sure it is wired for the correct voltage?

@KWS better articulated, that's where I was getting to with my line of questioning. What is weird though is I would assume the startup procedure is the same as it has been and that this is a new symptom since the run capacitor blew.

Its one or the other. he said he was starting it with a tank attached and under load so i went with high start up current angle.

Back
Top Bottom