Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jalistair, I might be up for the Comal dive as well, since a hurricane cheated me out of it last time I tried in July. Do you have a date/time/launching point worked out yet?

Yes, I will dive the Comal on Saturday the 25th. Have not worked out any times yet but I do have to drive there from Killeen so it is looking like noon or so.

I guess we cheat. We take the toy scooters (Seadoo) with us... get in scooter up the river and drift back.. then repeat until the batteries in the scooters die. Air pretty much lasts forever there.

I dive the Comal pretty regularly as it's 20 minutes from my house. I haven't dove it in a few months due to bad timing with the weather, although I did dive it in the beginning of July.

The foliage was pretty much all gone, which is a shame, there were these really pretty little "pom pom" things, not sure what they were called, but the scrubbed the water and kept it crystal clear. Also gave the fish some respite so they were a lot more curious and friendly.

If the weather holds up it should be nice.

Temp is pretty much 74F year round, even in the winter, so plan accordingly. Also, go early, very early, or you will be hucking your gear a long, long way. I typically get there by 7:30, 8:00 at the latest. Honestly it's nicer later in the day due to the orientation of the river to the sun. When the sun is right over head it really lights up the water beautifully. Early in the morning the trees keep the river in the dark.

As mentioned, it's quite shallow, but it really is a fun dive. Depth does not necessarily make a dive more fun, contrary to popular belief. :)

I'd love to go on the 2nd for Trashfest but alas I have a gig. :) Might be able to make the 25th though.

I guess we cheat. We take the toy scooters (Seadoo) with us... get in scooter up the river and drift back.. then repeat until the batteries in the scooters die. Air pretty much lasts forever there.

I just got a Seadoo! I love this idea. I just moved down to the San Marcos area and would love to join in on the Comel Dive but we are having all our stuff moved down that day.

I do hope and can't wait to meet a lot of you at Trash Fest though.

Have fun on the 25th! :)

Thanks for the advice! I will get there as early as possible but being several hours away I might end up having to cary my gear! :) I really am looking forward to this dive.

Yes, I will dive the Comal on Saturday the 25th. Have not worked out any times yet but I do have to drive there from Killeen so it is looking like noon or so.

aww too bad, I just found out I won't make the trip down there until the first week of October or so. If you liked it maybe you would go again then? If not, look forward to reading your trip report!

Well turns out I (& wife) just may be able to make it after all on the 25th. 74 degrees sounds nice 'n refreshing. So who all is in at the moment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom