Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good tips, kc5.. will you be diving w/ us on Saturday? Whoever is speak up, I'd like to get some plans made and phone #'s exchanged

Wish I could, I'm stuck in Houston this weekend so I'll be at Mammoth Lake on Sunday.

I was surprised to see how many divers were there. There were at least three or four groups of divers in the upper section by Texas Tubes where I dove, with another set of diver departing when I showed up and some more entering as I left. Thats not counting the folks who dove further downstream. The dive itself was pleasant enough, I did find a miniature crawdad/lobster looking thing that I could not help but catch and feed to a large fish :D He snapped that up like it was a treat, but then I guess it was haha.

What's up with the vegetation there, is that native or is that what people introduced from their aquariums? Also, there are lots of the algae eating fish that people put in their aquariums are they native or released?

I had something come up last minute so I wasn't able to make it out yesterday.. where did you exit the dive at?

Well the intent was just to stay up at the top section, but then I got too close to the tube shoot so I just inflated my bc and enjoyed the ride down the first two shoots. It was a pretty cool way to end it though.

I have dived downriver from the tube chute once. It's alot more shallow in parts, you have to walk parts of it. The current moves faster also. It's worth it to do it once but you're better off to stay upriver.

So I *finally* did this dive. Just like Jali, I hopped in @ Texas Tubes and swam downstream, then back up to the point of origin. I must say, a great dive! Vis was at least 15 ft when the sun came out, saw lots of neat stuff. Depth was maybe 8 ft in the middle of the river, and that river got to be cold after a while! The only goodies I collected were 2 golf balls, but there had been a massive river cleanup a few weeks back featuring hundreds of divers...

I talked with the owner of Texas Tubes who mentioned a hidden dive spot some may not be aware of: if you swim upstream from tx tubes and bear right as you approach Landa Falls, you can swim into a tunnel that will take you beneath an abandoned hydro plant, right into the main chamber! Supposedly it's 40 ft depth there, and it's like "your own private swimming pool", complete with ledges to jump off of in increasing height from the water.

That sounds pretty awesome. Never heard of it. Let me know if you ever wanna check it out.

Back
Top Bottom