Commercial diver died in India after being trapped underwater for more than two days.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The diver got his foot stuck in a pipe and could not get loose. There was several rescue attempts by a professional rescue team without success. He was alive for more than two days, but the third he stopped breathing. Then they sawed his fot off and pulled him out...

Image from cdiver.net:
16zzperilbig-150x150.jpg

Sources:
Foot-stuck-in-four-inch-pipe-for-two-days-hope-of-dam-diver-survival-fades
Leg-sawed-off-diver-body-pulled-out

What a horrible way to die...

I'm guessing the picture on the left is somewhat correct, but the right one should be disgarded. In that picture he is wearing a fin, the article says no fins, and he has a tank, but he was getting air from the surface.

And with such a small pipe as on the picture I am guessing they should have been able to just cut the pipe off.

Most commercial divers wear bailout bottles.

In any event, let me think.
A) I die, they cut my foot off to bury me
B) They cut my foot off, it hurts like hell, I live to tell stories

I pick B

Most commercial divers wear bailout bottles.

In any event, let me think.
A) I die, they cut my foot off to bury me
B) They cut my foot off, it hurts like hell, I live to tell stories

I pick B

You know I thought the same thing, but I think that it's probably not feasable. In my non-medical opinion I would think you would need to first locate a doctor/diver. Anesthesia would need to be administered, bleeding would have to be controlled, etc.
On the flip side, would would be the liability for the physician? I seriously doubt medical school teaches underwater emergency amputations.

You know I thought the same thing, but I think that it's probably not feasable. In my non-medical opinion I would think you would need to first locate a doctor/diver. Anesthesia would need to be administered, bleeding would have to be controlled, etc.
On the flip side, would would be the liability for the physician? I seriously doubt medical school teaches underwater emergency amputations.

I don't believe Aron Ralston (..........Aron Ralston.......... Trapped: The rock climber who amputated his own arm) had a choice of waiting for a better plan which is why he is alive.

The rescue was focused on getting him out safely and intact but time ran out.

It might be something to cover in dive planning next trip.

Come on, give me a break.
Is this world so worried about being sued you would not cut a guys foot off to save his life?
I guess dead people don't sue, right? Just the families, but then its not a direct testimony.

Any boy scout could cut a guys foot off and have them survive.
All you need is a rope, a stick, and a saw to cut with. A second stick is optional so the guy does not bit his tongue off. It was done all the time in the civil war.

I think the real problem would be that after cutting the foot off, you'd have to control the bleeding for however long it took to do the deco... If it took them hours to get that plan ready, it would take hours to deco out.

...Any boy scout could cut a guys foot off and have them survive. All you need is a rope, a stick, and a saw to cut with. A second stick is optional so the guy does not bit his tongue off. It was done all the time in the civil war.

With the complications of saturation, this would have been a logistical nightmare. I don't know how long he was into his profile when he became stuck. It's certainly is a sad situation with small recompense for the family. :depressed:

I think the real problem would be that after cutting the foot off, you'd have to control the bleeding for however long it took to do the deco... If it took them hours to get that plan ready, it would take hours to deco out.

he can deco in the hospital... in a chamber.

I say take the foot... were it me, I'd say take the foot off.. use a chain saw if you have to.. but make it fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom