Commercial diver died in India after being trapped underwater for more than two days.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, give me a break.
Is this world so worried about being sued you would not cut a guys foot off to save his life?
I guess dead people don't sue, right? Just the families, but then its not a direct testimony.

Any boy scout could cut a guys foot off and have them survive.
All you need is a rope, a stick, and a saw to cut with. A second stick is optional so the guy does not bit his tongue off. It was done all the time in the civil war.

Sadly, liability is always an issue. As a DM it's something I think about every time I dive with a non-pro. Fortunately I have never been in a scenario even close to this one.

I doubt that liability ever entered into the equation.

I'm not assuming that these things were not tried, the folks running the operation likely were not idiots:

1. The best approach would have been for another diver to cut the pipe and thus relieve the suction.
  2. The also might have been able to pump out the access shaft (depending on the size of the leak).
  3. Cutting off the diver's foot would have been the last alternative.
Deco would have been a problem regardless. Perhaps we'll hear more later.

I don't think deco would be that big of deal. The turnicit would stop any blood loss and infection does not set in instantly. Once in the chamber you can drug the living heck out of him until he clears for proper cleanup surgery.

Carrie, unfortunately in this society you don't need to be a DM to get sued if the crap hits.

Chambers may not be required in India, lawsuits there are, I believe, somewhat less of an issue.

I am glad that in the U.S. we have standards of practice! When you loose comms DIVE IS OVER. A dive to that depth would require a chamber on site! Going near a pipe (with flow) before lock out is playing with your life. Not to mention a dressed in stand by. Then even having a plan in case something like said happens. I think I would have included the option of pulling the foot out with gear IE a come along, or a rope loop with a twist. Yes you are going to break bones and or loose the foot but not a life. Why it took so long proves to me they may not have been qualifed or even set up to do the job safely . This is just my opion and does not reflect every or any company policy but then again it was not in the U.S.
See you topside! John

he can deco in the hospital... in a chamber.

Perhaps you may not appreciate the scope of gas absorption when saturation occurs. There would be little chance that this diver would make it to a hospital chamber alive.

I am glad that in the U.S. we have standards of practice! When you loose comms DIVE IS OVER. A dive to that depth would require a chamber on site! Going near a pipe (with flow) before lock out is playing with your life. Not to mention a dressed in stand by. Then even having a plan in case something like said happens. I think I would have included the option of pulling the foot out with gear IE a come along, or a rope loop with a twist. Yes you are going to break bones and or loose the foot but not a life. Why it took so long proves to me they may not have been qualifed or even set up to do the job safely . This is just my opion and does not reflect every or any company policy but then again it was not in the U.S.
See you topside! John

It would be interesting to better understand the circumstances. I know if I was the Dive Superintendent, the last thing I would want would be for saturation to occur. I agree that getting the foot out quickly should not have been an insurmountable problem. Suction would never be an issue because this would have been eliminated before the diver was allowed into the water.

One thing is clear and that is that we don't have all the facts and therefore we can only speculate. What could have or could not have been done cannot be determined with the information available. We will have to wait and see.

Perhaps you may not appreciate the scope of gas absorption when saturation occurs. There would be little chance that this diver would make it to a hospital chamber alive.

Yes, without an on site chamber he was dead anyway.

Fellas - this is Mumbai, India. It is not necessarily a hotbed of "standards." Diving companies (if I saw any) were pretty basic and recompression was not something I heard about. Perhaps a few very advanced hospitals had recompression gear?

I can imagine that the diver was as "safe" as he could be for this type of diving, but ultimately just getting the job done (whatever works) is what matters in India. I feel bad for the diver and his family.

Back
Top Bottom