compressor dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmossback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just finished filling a friend of mines 72 with my old Mako compressor and was thinking how nice it would be to have a dryer tower or cylinder on my old Mako rather than the single tower I have now. But is no room on the mounting frame to add a second tower for a dryer.
The tower I have has about 1.5 inches of wool pads, then carbon crystals, (activated) then another 1.5 inches of wool pads. But no drying elements, just the wool and the moisture collector in the base I have to bleed about every 10 minutes.

I then remembered seeing somewhere a inline hose dryer cylinder.......but don't remember where I found that.......and can not find it now....

Was I seeing things? Or is there a dryer I can buy that's inline on the filling hose?

It gets tire some bleeding this Mako every 10 minutes............especially after the 3rd or 4th tank in a filling session. Thats about 2 hours...........

I put my request here because the compressor is about 20 yrs old and I consider that vintage...........

A drier will not substitute for or prevent having to drain the water trap every 10 minutes or so. The water trap should be the first thing in line before the drier/ purifier. Its purpose is to minimize the amount of water that gets to the drier and the drier is to remove moisture in vapor form not liquid water. The drying media ,13X molecular sieve is needed before the charcoal purifier. Water and activated charcoal = sulfuric acid and very short charcoal life. You could could but both in one tower and cut back on the thickness of the felt pads but would have to decrease drier/purifier run time before replacement.

My compressor originally had a set up similar to yours. I added a second drying tower before the activated charcoal original tower. Still have to drain the water separator every 10 or so minuted depending on relative humidity.

Thanks captain,

So your saying I could convert my original tower with the watertrap to a drying media and put inline on my hose the charcoal purifier?

You can do it that way.

Hi OldMossBack,

Captin gave very good information above. we may carry a filter with 13X (dryer) and activated carbon in it that fits in your filter tower, but I would need to see pictures of your filter housing and filter. Also, regarding the manual drain, you could convert to an automatic drain which is activated by a timer and solenoid, but that can be somewhat pricey.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Have a great week!
Gabe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom