Computer Confusion!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All along I thought I wanted to purchase Suunto Vyper but have been having second thoughts. I am considering the Versa Pro but I am not sure that I will ever use the Nitrox capability of the computer so I don't want to waste the money on the gear if I don't go Nitrox. My wife and I are AOW certified but not yet Nitrox. I would like to take this step but my wife is not all that interested. We both have about 60 dives each and make 2 trips a year. We only dive tropical locations and typically go on 7-10 day trips with 2 dives daily for 5 or 6 days. We will not ever advance to technical level diving but we both do enjoy going deep so I might be contradicting myslef a bit. We will both get our deep diving certs as we have both been to 130+ on 5 or 6 different occasions.

I have read that the Vyper tends to go into warp mode with multi depth,multi day dives one after another. Has anyone heard of this?

I like the conservitive approach Sunnto has taken but I don't want it to be a pain in the neck and wish I would have bought another rig.

What are your thoughts on the Versa Pro vs. Suunto Vyper? Not a great deal of difference in cost at LP but some.

Those of you who have had this same decision, let me know which way you went.

Thanks

I would buy a nitrox computer if there is even the slightest chance you will take a nitrox class. It is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I personally have never heard of any computer having a problem with doing multiple dives on consecutive days, but I also have no experience with the Suunto computers. It seems that the information I have read make both computers sound like a good choice so I don't think you could go wrong.

The vyper has had a bit of problems lately.....so I would go with an old stand by that works great...and wont break the bank either....if you want nitrox try the Genesis React.....simple...easy to read...nice big numbers....worth a look

The issue with the Vyper is going into warp mode if you ever exceed, or get too close to, a 1.4 PO2 (on the CNS exposure)

The Vytec DOES NOT have the same problem. I own one of each and can confirm that the Vytec does not misbehave in this fashion.

The Vytec can also have its conservatism turned down some (RGBM 50 .vs. 100) which you may find useful.

Without the AI transmitter, its not much more expensive than the Vyper.

I have a bunch of dives on both computers, and the Vytec has been flawless for me. Other than the whacked CNS computations the Vyper also performed well.

I must admit until recently I thought the main reason to use Nitrox was for deep diving.

However, a divemaster on a recent course I attended told me otherwise. He explained that it was purely a safety thing, as diving upto 30 metres with Nitrox significantly reduces the chance of getting bent. Due to the enriched Oxygen mix that you are breathing. This could be complete rubbish as I've not looked into it. But he seemed quite knowledge on the subject.

He pointed out that below 30m Oxygen becomes toxic so it can actually become more dangerous than diving air. Again haven't researched so can't comment.

Nitrox is farily readily available on holiday now and if your doing lots of multiple day diving at less than 30m. It could reduce the risk of the bends by going to Nitrox, again based on my understanding of it's usage.

Be interested to get more feedback from those more knowledge in the ways of the Nitrox :)

I have read that the Vyper tends to go into warp mode with multi depth,multi day dives one after another. Has anyone heard of this?

I have had the Vyper for several years, using it for the kind of diving you describe:

We only dive tropical locations and typically go on 7-10 day trips with 2 dives daily for 5 or 6 days.

I have never had a problem with the Vyper acting up. I have compared it to my dive buddy's computer, and about the only difference I have noted is that mine is sometimes more conservative on the "time to fly" after multiple days of multiple dives, especially if they have been deeper dives.

Although I have not yet decided to get Nitrox certified, I like the fact that I can use my computer if I do decide to.

sapphire

I own a Vyper, and have only had good experiences with it. Last fall, I did eleven dives in three days, with brief exposures to a 1.5 PPO2, with no problems whatsoever.

I agree that having a Nitrox capable computer makes sense if you are at all contemplating a potential Nitrox future. On the deeper dives that you mentioned, you will likely get significantly more time in the water using Nitrox (with good air consumption). The class is not at all difficult, proper use of Nitrox can provide a greater safety margin than air, and many people feel better after Nitrox dives compared to an equivalent air dive. Longer, safer, better. All good.

Todd.

Thanks for all your input. I think I am going to go with Versa Pro so I can get a bit more liberal profile. I was always going to buy a Vyper but have read too many negative things about the profile. I know it's good rig as many techies use them or at least have them for backup.

Personally use computer SUUNTO Cobra, is optimal since this integrated with the compass and you can read all the information in a single place

:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom