Computer issues - would you still dive it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you do when your 'puter goes wonky?

Use depth averaging to make a quick assessment of where I'm at regarding NDL's then change batteries after the dive is done.

Well, yes, I understand backup computers . . .

What I do not understand is . . . why would you continue using a life support gadget that has proven it has a glitch?..............

It's a perception thing, that is how I view them right out of the box.

................I am reading about the Xen that has a 'small firmware problem' where it loses time . . . but it 'will get fixed in the next firmware revision.'...............

It's the ones they they don't know about that concern me.

..............What I like about my Uwatecs, is that when there is a problem, they quit. Period. Display 'Err' or nothing at all. That is considered "fail-safe", meaning safe was defined as "not working" so if there is a failure, you do not have to wonder if you can trust your computer -- you know you can't, and you cannot use it..............

I like Uwatecs also, own one. But I also like to get home unbent. My VR3 just keeps on guessing...

...................While others are happily using their computer with delayed start-ups or erroneous depth readings or it goes diving by itself . . . . ................

One of mine is back at the manufacturer for a similar problem. No, I won't dive it.

..............For me, there is no way in the world I would use a computer that went 'wonky' without it going back to the manufacturer for a complete checkout..........................

Totally reasonable.

..................Aren't you - who continue use - concerned that there may be other issues; that maybe what the calculations are may not be accurate? .................

I am, even after they come back fixed.

................. how can you trust what the 'puter is saying?

Can someone help me with that?

That one is easy: Trust, but verify - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sorry, the era I grew up in...

I am, even after they come back fixed.

Someone who's more cynical than I am! :thumb:

Well, yes, I understand backup computers . . .

What I do not understand is . . . why would you continue using a life support gadget that has proven it has a glitch?

For those of you that do continue using them, I mean.

I am reading about the Xen that has a 'small firmware problem' where it loses time . . . but it 'will get fixed in the next firmware revision.'

Its the clock in the Xen that loses time. So instead of reading "4:15", it'll say "4:13" after a few days. The actually timer is fine. If the timer was goosed, I wouldn't dive it.

I think it all really depends on how its acting. If the backlight on a computer doesn't work, but the rest is fine, I'd probably dive it.

The problem with the early X1s is a known issue with the original pressure sensors.They have since been replaced with newer technology which Liquivision says has been problem free, but quite a few of the older units seem to be failing now, so it's a topic of discussion. Mine died about a month before my trip to Playa and was quickly dealt with by Liquivision.

I too would continue on tables. Most of my dives take me to the bottom at a single depth, so I use my depth gauge and dive watch. Use the computer almost as a backup anyway. But if the majority of my dives were multi-level I think I'd get a 2nd computer.

For myself, if the dive is big enough to worry about it I wear a second bottom timer. Timer A goes to hell on me? Flip them around and check Timer B. If Timer B goes to crap, I have a buddy. If all hell breaks loose I have an SMB/Spool and a stopwatch, I will get medieval to make it to the surface safely.

FWIW, I keep an Analog depth gage (only good to 150 or so, tho...) in my scuba bag for those times where everything electronic wants to keep dying on me. I have rocked dives with that depth gage and my stopwatch happily, because I trust physics and Casio a lot farther than I do Uwatec and Oceanic.

Peace,
Greg

I think there are two schools of thought from the tech minded and the rec minded. On a tec run we carry contingencies, backup computer & slates. On a recreational dive a backup computer isn't as popular for most divers and the taught procedure is to end the dive with a safety stop and off-gas completely before diving again either with a new computer or via tables.

As for trusting your dive computer...If you don't trust Oceanic, SP, Diverite, ect. what are you breathing off of?

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom