Computer recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problems it introduces? None. As I mentioned in my post, I would always have an SPG as well. And yes, it is clipped to my left hip D ring.

I can think of a few problems. You also didn't answer the question about what problem it solves. I'm also not sure why you'd ask me why I'd skip it if in fact you already have an opinion.

I'm going to guess that the LDS is going to want a fair bit more then $250 for the zoop. That's internet pricing. :)

Fwiw, for those who think my choice to pass on air integration is paranoid....

I just got an email from DGE saying that Hollis is having a recall on the DG03 to address a problem with air pressure not updating.

Hey MrSam,

You could send it into a Suunto service center, but I couldn't tell you if it would be worth it. Good news is that computers are coming down in price. You can get a new Suunto Zoop for $300. It is similar to the Gekko, so you'll be familiar with it right from the start. Suunto is distributed by Aqua Lung in the US, so it is backed by a great warranty.

Tusa, SubGear, Aeris, Oceanic, and Suunto all offer computers for $300 or less.

Fwiw, for those who think my choice to pass on air integration is paranoid....

Now that I have had a Vyper Air with AI, I don't think you are paranoid.

Don't get me wrong I like the Vyper Air but I have had a lot of problems with the wireless air integration. Thankfully I didn't buy into my LDS's and other divers recommendation to just eliminate the SPG on my regulator. Otherwise I would have had to scratch several dives. I had several cases where it just lost connection and then it just died. Having an analog SPG on my reg, I was able to use the computer data while using the SPG to monitor my air.

Since I only purchased it in December 2012, o returned it for warranty repair and was told it had leaked. Aqualung refused to cover it telling me it had the wrong o-ring. Problem is the o-ring had never been changed.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

The problem with the Suunto wireless transmitters is that any water in the first stage is pushed into the electronics when you pressurize your reg. there is absolutely no protection to prevent this from happening. Since Suunto offers great service (in most countries, ahem), this is ok and they will replace a faulty transmitter. I did this a few times in Thailand and merely had to pay the 20$ import tax. Still stopped diving with transmitter when the warranty ran out. Still dived with an spg when i had the transmitter since they cannot be trusted.
Now that my Vyper Air has officially died (after 2300 dives), I'm diving with the shop's Geko but miss a few functions, like dive planning and gauge mode...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom