Computer recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a used reg set some time ago, unfortunately it came with a broken Gekko. Unless my last dive was down to 250 feet, I believe it's time to invest in a new computer.
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and don't need all the crazy features. Just looking for something that won't break the bank (new or used), and will keep me diving safe.

I was thinking about the Mares puck but wanted to see what you guys would recommend.

Easy:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

Get it with the DSS bungee mount. Pass on the air integrated transmitter. PC download is up to you.

Don't read any more responses... just go buy it right now.

I currently dive a mares puck and don't have anything negative to say about it. I think I paid $174 for it a year ago.

This DG03 looks like a great deal as well.

Why would you say to pass on the air integrated transmitter? Looks like you could save 80 bucks to buy it initially.

I'd like to have air integration but I would also always have an SPG as well.

Last edited:
Many threads on the subject. For me, tell me, what problem does it solve for the $249 it costs? What problems does it introduce?

Give me a brass and glass SPG on a 25" hose clipped to my left d-ring and I'll never run out of gas or drag a boat anchor across the coral.

Zoop in a DSS bungee mount, cheap, simple, reliable and good resale. Everything an OW rec diver needs. This is an often asked question so if you do a little search and you will find a plethora of info. Good luck.

The Zoop and Mares Puck were recommended to me a few times.
Looks like it's between the Zoop, DG03, and Puck. I believe my LDS would be able to work/deal with a Zoop, but not the other two. There is another shop that works with Hollis and Mares though, so that isn't an issue. Not factoring in price, which would be best? I know the Mares Puck is about $80 cheaper than the other two since it's on sale, it has the most reviews/highest rating as well.

Many threads on the subject. For me, tell me, what problem does it solve for the $249 it costs? What problems does it introduce?

Give me a brass and glass SPG on a 25" hose clipped to my left d-ring and I'll never run out of gas or drag a boat anchor across the coral.

Along with the Air Integration, I would be buying the interface as well. I have all the dive profiles loaded from my puck and can review them when desired. I would like to also have the air consumption data to analyze as well.

Problems it introduces? None. As I mentioned in my post, I would always have an SPG as well. And yes, it is clipped to my left hip D ring.

The Zoop and Mares Puck were recommended to me a few times.
Looks like it's between the Zoop, DG03, and Puck. I believe my LDS would be able to work/deal with a Zoop, but not the other two. There is another shop that works with Hollis and Mares though, so that isn't an issue. Not factoring in price, which would be best? I know the Mares Puck is about $80 cheaper than the other two since it's on sale, it has the most reviews/highest rating as well.

Whats "best" is hard to answer, it's a little subjective, depends on personal preference and required/desired features.

Sounds like you may have made a choice. Any of them would do the job, personally I'd take the zoop over the puck for no other reason than it fits in a DSS mount and with my aging eyes the larger display on the zoop is a bonus. Out of the three the DG03 has more functions which you may or may not use now/in the future.

OK final answer, just looked at the price on the DG03 from DGX and ill agree with chrpai.

Last edited:
I second the above on the Zoop but the Hollis would be nice also since you could upgrade to air integration later.

However, I've have seen some good deals on used Oceanic Pro Plus 2s. I was able to buy a like new Suunto Cobra for $300 also.

I own the Cobra and a Zoop. Both work well but the Hollis sure looks nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom