Computer recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Petrel is smaller than the Predator, but still bulkier than the Liquivisions. No cable needed, it speaks Bluetooth.

There is no backlight as it is an OLED screen. Once you use this type you will never go back.

OLED is nice, my Atomic Cobalt has it, but the claim that it's so far superior to LCD that you'd never go back is a joke. My Petrel is just as crisp and clear as my OLED Cobalt (pictures here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...shearwater-petrel-preorder-3.html#post6489810).

No idea what interface the Liquivision tap-box requires, but the Shearwaters have built-in Bluetooth and will connect without any cables to most Macs. For computers without built-in Bluetooth hardware, Shearwater includes a Bluetooth USB dongle in the box, no extra charge.

+1 for the Atomic Cobalt if you are interested in an AI console.

Extremely easy to use right out of the book; no college text books to operate it. Atomic is developing a wrist version of the Cobalt, but have not announced its release date yet. I am waiting for that before I buy another wrist mounted computer.

+1 for the Atomic Cobalt if you are interested in an AI console.

I don't think I would do AI again. Something else to break and/or go wrong. I think I'll get a wrist-mount computer and a single SPG on a hose for my regs.

So does no one dive the Nitek Q then? The Shearwater fans seem ferocious; it seems to be in the lead at the moment. Liquivision is in all of the local dive shops and is pushed hard by them; it's a bit of a turnoff for me. The Shearwaters must be pretty good to have all of the online advocates with no presence in any of the LDS's in their own hometown.

Both Shearwater and Liquivison have great displays, run widely available decompression algorithms(VPM, Buhlmann GF, or true RGBM) and won't lock you out like many recreational computers. It would be hard to go wrong with either.

+ for Wrist Computer. Shearwater/Liquivision most intuitive & easiest reading computers. Maybe this helps:

Shearwater_Petrel: 2.4” Full Color HD Display, Air, Nitrox, Trimix, CCR, Single AA Battery (Any Type) or SAFT, screen protector, Bluetooth for Downloads & updates

Liquivision_XEO (comparable features to Petrel): Smaller than Petrel, Air, Nitrox, Trimix, CCR, Specific battery. If you go with XEO do to size then I suggest you do the Kit.
Kit comes with:
Enlightened ER17335M BLUE Replacement Battery 3-Pack
Enlightened Charger - Do to battery life, it is better to have the rechargeable batteries (comes with 2, so keep one charged in save a dive kit)
Enlightened PC Interface
Zagg invisible shield (screen protector)

I can go on about features of both and we do a lot of them as well, so the deciding factors with our customers tends to be size & batteries. Both companies stand behind their products, so either way, you will not be making a mistake.

Petrel, Petrel, Petrel. Love it I am diving it in Turks right now. I used to be a dedicated console guy but have now fallen to the wrist mount and Glass and Brass SPG. Has lightened my load and every other DM I run in to keeps trying to buy it off my wrist. Easy to use, and leaves you ready to tackle the tech world if you wish to train that way later.

The Petrel is . . . still bulkier than the Liquivisions.

This had been bugging me, because I sure didn't think it was true when I saw a Xeo in person. Turns out, it depends on what you mean by bulkier... though obviously an X1 would definitely make a Petrel seem bulky.

The Xeo is 2.5”x 2.2”x 1.5”

The Petrel is 3.25” x 2.875” x 1.375”

Personally, I'll take the wider screen but thinner profile on the wrist. The facts that it's cheaper, doesn't require a PC kit, and has Shearwater customer service associated with it are also nice.

Heinrichs Weikamp Frog, loving it. I'm a rec diver.

Colour LCD, runs on AA, small, Bluetooth, Runs with Mac Dive, great customer service, simple to use and not too spendy. But as far as I'm aware there are no dealers in the US, I got mine direct from HW online and as I live outside the EU they deducted the sales tax.

OLED is nice, my Atomic Cobalt has it, but the claim that it's so far superior to LCD that you'd never go back is a joke. My Petrel is just as crisp and clear as my OLED Cobalt (pictures here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...shearwater-petrel-preorder-3.html#post6489810).

The Petrel display is an LCD with LED backlight. The Xeo is an OLED like the predator. I like the Xeo, I haven't dove a petrel yet. I was comparing to a typical LCD display found in most/many dive computers, including ones i own. If the petrel is as good as the Xeo then that's great. Why does every comment have to turn into a Liquivision vs shearwater debate?

Stamp

Back
Top Bottom