Computer recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Petrel display is an LCD with LED backlight. The Xeo is an OLED like the predator. I like the Xeo, I haven't dove a petrel yet. I was comparing to a typical LCD display found in most/many dive computers, including ones i own. If the petrel is as good as the Xeo then that's great. Why does every comment have to turn into a Liquivision vs shearwater debate?

My comment didn't mention, much less bash or even debate, any Liquivision product. It didn't compare Shearwater to any other brand of computer. It did respond in a factual manner to your fanboyish and unqualified comment about the virtues of OLED screens relative to all others on the market. Thanks for clearing up that what you really meant in your earlier post was
Once you use this type you will never go back except maybe to certain less expensive and arguably easier to read LCD screens.
Of course, at this point of screen performance, we're really debating distinctions without a difference: I need to see my dive data on it, not watch the game in 1080p.

I have no idea whether a properly functioning Petrel is better than, worse than, or "as good as" a properly functioning Xeo. The Xeo's dive planner wouldn't have to be very impressive to be better than the limited functionality of the Petrel's, for example. And since you felt the need to get defensive, I will tell you why I don't know and never will: because I will never own a product that might need customer service from Eric or his company. Others have had differing opinions and experiences on that front, and I have heard that since the whole early X1 battery replacement fiasco Liquivision has cleaned up its act re: customer service... but I personally am not willing to give them a second chance when there are companies like Atomic and Shearwater out there. YMMV.

There, now you've suceeded in turning this into a Liquivision vs. Shearwater debate. Happy? :wink:

Sounds like either one is a good choice and with the PC interface $$$ it's about the same in the end.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Is our favorite SP dealer doing okay? This thread is missing a voice I would have expected to hear before now...

Back
Top Bottom