computer/software with the most detailed data collection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuckfee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm leaning toward buying an air-integrated computer, probably by Suunto or Pelagic. I'm trying to figure out exactly what sort of info the computers record w/r/t air consumption.

If I set a computer to record data every 15/30 seconds, what actually gets saved and transferred? I've read that some computers record only dive start air pressure and dive end air pressure, but not the air pressure at each data point along the dive. Is that correct? I hope not. Are there some computers that do record the tank pressure data at each data point/interval?

Does any AI computer do this? I'd also be interested in seeing the computer's estimates of air time remaining at each data point.

Thanks for any leads. I can get a sensus pro to record most of this data with granularity, but obviously it can't measure my air consumption rate or tank pressure.

--chuck

Almost any new Oceanic/Aeries computer will record all that data that you seek. They will have the starting pressure, the current tank pressure at the recording interval as well as the end pressure, the SAC rate, current/max/average depth, current/max/average temps, tissue loading (either O2 or N2) as well as display the NDL as well the DTR on the recorded data and underwater as you dive.

I think the cochrans record just about everything.

Tamas:
They do as well, but they are not AI as the OP wanted (unless you go with the Gemini - which is disco if I am not mistaken?)

No the Gemini is still around. It's supposed to be better (more reliable?) than some of the earlier cochrans. I'm in the market for a new computer and am thinking of going w/ either the Gemini or the Oceanic VT3 (still checking out the VT3). I'm not sure if the VT3 records SAC, or what I think about the Oceanlog sw.

Edit: According to the manual the VT3 does record ATR.

chuckfee:
Hi there. I'm leaning toward buying an air-integrated computer, probably by Suunto or Pelagic. I'm trying to figure out exactly what sort of info the computers record w/r/t air consumption.

If I set a computer to record data every 15/30 seconds, what actually gets saved and transferred? I've read that some computers record only dive start air pressure and dive end air pressure, but not the air pressure at each data point along the dive. Is that correct? I hope not. Are there some computers that do record the tank pressure data at each data point/interval?

Does any AI computer do this? I'd also be interested in seeing the computer's estimates of air time remaining at each data point.

Thanks for any leads. I can get a sensus pro to record most of this data with granularity, but obviously it can't measure my air consumption rate or tank pressure.

--chuck

Attached (I hope) is a screen shot of the Suunto Dive display from a VYTEC

Attachments

• Sample Dive - Suunto VYTEC.doc
    113.5 KB · Views: 76
Uwatec: http://www.scubapro.com/prod/strum/SmartZ/smartZ.htm (SmartTec has the same memory specs and some additional features.)

DATA TRANSFER & MEMORY
100 hours of profile storage at 4-second sampling rate. Ensures you will never lose a dive log; high sampling rate preserves all details about the dives.
99 dive on-board logbook. Quick access to basic logbook information directly on the dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom