Computer suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottarquilla

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to the Board but not new to diving. I was certified in 1974. My last real dive trip was 1998 to Cozumel but I am going to Grand Cayman for a few extra days in March and am planning on taking a couple of morning 2-tank trips before some meetings I have begin. My last first computer was an Orca Skinny Dipper; Orca upgraded it to a Marck II in 1999. I understand Orca has been gone many years. It was a great unit, however. I recently looked at it; it still looks brand new.
I am an air only, warm water diver in my upper 50's. I've looked at so many models of computers on line that I have to say the problem with America is that there is too much choice!
I'm trying to limit my budget to $400 (too much?) and have looked at the Mares Nemo Wide (great for old eyes), Suunto Vyper and Vyper 2, Oceanic Veo 250 and Veo 2.0, Areis Manta, and Zeagle N2ition. Each retailer's websites seem to sing the praises of each.
I'd like the computer to be easy to read, simple to operate, wrist mounted, back lit, imperial dimensions, replaceable battery; that's about it. I don't need computer downloads, tank pressure readouts, and the multitude of other abilities that make the instructions seemingly endless.
I'd like it to possibly be able to use different gas mixtures but primarily for resale value. I plan on more vacation trips in the future so a good, solid manufacturer and service is preferred. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

I have a 10 year old Suunto Vyper, and have not yet come to make myself buy another computer. I think it's easy to read, and it's been a very great computer. Another computer that I really like but it's way over your $400 price range is the Scubapro Luna, it has even larger numbers than the Suunto Vyper. I have no imformation regarding the other computers.

I would reccomend the Dive Rite Nitek Trio, its an awesome 3 gas Nitrox compatiable computer...

Check out Sherwood's Profile and Insight. The are both simple to use air and nitrox computers. You may not dive nitrox now, but if you start doing more dive trips, it may be something you want to do so you may as well have the tool for it. We have both for less than $400. In fact, the Profile is less than $300.

Does the Skinny Dipper still work? I still dive mine after twenty years it works as well as it did when it was new. It has some scratches and dents but works fine. I had replaced it with a Mares Nemo Titanium when I cam across a good deal.

Used the Skinny Dipper as a back up then realized that I referred to the skinny dipper more often than the Mares. I realized the Skinny Dipper's huge readout and was just simply easier for me to read. Now that I am in my mid forties , that huge LCD is just perfect. So in practice the Mares Nemo is in practice backing the aging Skinny Dipper.

You might just want to reconsider replacing the Skinny Dipper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom