Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llBuckshotll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a computer that actually exists and works with a buddy pressure check system?
I see that it was once in option in the Oceanic lines, but removed do to trademark infringement.
Even then it only worked within 3-4 feet. It seems you could always add your buddy's transmitter to a computer that can handle more then one, but proximity has to again be close I assume. So the question remains....

Does anyone use one that actually works?

Akwary computers allow multiple person gas checks

Liquivision Lynx. Supports up to 9 or 10. With line of site works very well within a couple hundred feet at least. Also has the ability to "home in" on the other transmitters with a sort of compass.
I just so happen to have one for sale :eyebrow:

Its not yet available for sale, but the Atomic Cobalt wrist model will allow for buddy gas monitoring to 200+ feet, depending on water conditions. Liquivision has done this for a number of years.

The problem you identify is that systems relying on RF transmission are very limited in distance- if you are close enough to pick up the signal you can probably just read their gauge. Acoustic signals, used both by Liquivision mentioned above and the upcoming Cobalt, will be able to achieve line of sight distances in the hundreds of feet, and also allow for a dive boat to monitor multiple divers (including direction) with a surface unit. Liquivision was showing this at DEMA.

Ron

Do we need to ask "What problem is trying to be solved"? Are you trying to be a sneaky bastard?

I trust my buddy to read her gauge. BUT: I do not trust my buddy to proactively read my mind and signal her gas pressure before I get curious. So a "public" exchange of gas levels is highly beneficial.

I actually claim that sneaky reading of your buddies gas may be a bad thing? It may allow 1 member of the team to become complacent?

We (ir)regularly exchange gas readings. The exchange is a 2 way communication. At the exchange point, both of us fully understand each others gas reading. I know her gas and my gas, she knows my gas and her gas.

Unless my buddy is very inexperienced I will not ask for gas reserve during the dive. We will check gas during pre dive check. I know then enough to guestimate their gas reserve and trust them to guard their own gas. I'am not their babysitter neither want to be. On the other hand, I don't to dive with a babysitter either.

Akwary computers allow multiple person gas checks

Akwary is no longer. Their booth was completely unnamed at DEMA. I suspect their company is in recievership

I've dove a Lynx for around 2 years now. The tank pressure monitors have worked flawlessly for me at all recreational depths and outside "line of sight" (when all batteries were nominally fresh). The buddy location feature has never worked for me or anyone i know.

AJ:
Unless my buddy is very inexperienced I will not ask for gas reserve during the dive. We will check gas during pre dive check. I know then enough to guestimate their gas reserve and trust them to guard their own gas. I'am not their babysitter neither want to be. On the other hand, I don't to dive with a babysitter either.
As you get more experience you will. You'll find most with over 1000 dives observe the basics - its a survival instinct.

The Galileo computers allow you to check your buddy's pressure. You have to be within about 5-7', but I've never had issues- my wife and I both use Galileos. We stay fairly close when we dive anyway, but if we get separated I just have to swim closer and it pops right up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom