Computers & DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Thanks for the link but I have read all that WKPP stuff and GI mostly beats his chest about how much he knows but passes little of it on.
I will stop you right there, actually. George has posted literally everything he knows on the internet. The techdiver archives, the Quest list, and the Gavin Scooters list collectively contain a stunning amount of information from George.

Nemrod:
Still I ask as have several others especially since it has been noted this is not provided in DIRF classes---what table do you use and what procedure is used to apply that table? I do not see this anywhere including in this thread. I could be missing it at the WKPP site? Why not just post a pic of the table here? Is it the Navy tables with a DIR twist? or is it just hocus pocus? I know the Navy tables by heart and can compute them on the fly with averaging and safety hedge--if that is all this is about maybe I should teach the DIRF class, I don't believe in secrets when peoples life is at stake. I know the secret handshake too, does that get me into the executive bathroom? N
This is something that's extrapolated backwards from learning GUE decompression in Tech 1/2 classes, and therefore isn't exactly appropriate to teach to people who have exactly zero decompression knowledge.

Your answer is to use whatever table you're using now and dive using your head. Do the minimum decompression that you're taught in class and stuck to the tables.

There are no "secrets" in any of it.

Nemrod:
OK, it is not a table, it is not taught in the DIRF class, the WKPP site is about a 19,000 foot cave dive so again where is this method written down and upon what is it based. Provide the text, link or whatever please. Oh, btw, I di not learn to dive on the internet, God taught me how to dive and he did not whisper in my ear the tables, he inscribed them in stone and they make great ballast too. N

It wasn't covered in my fudies class either, I figured it out on my own.

No real biggie really, and I'm surprised you're getting such feedback.

Sure take the class, it'll help where you need it most.

However, it might not help you discover this big secret.

Here's the problem that I see. I've seen it introduced a couple different ways.

Some I've heard rule of 120 with 10%, some rule of 130, these are with EAN32 mixes, rec depths, rec NDL's.

I've also heard the SI's involved for a "wash" begin from 1.5hrs to 2 hrs. Doesn't really matter much which way I've seem to run these, they all bascially work out similar and also correspond to computer driven result quite well anyway.

You'll bascially find with EAN32 from the depths of 70 to 100ft, the sum of depth plus time equals 130. At the nether reaches of the depths the sum of 130 varies (sum greater than 130)

Using depth averages with regards to times spent at those depths (As per Lamont posts) you can get a very good idea of what's going on. Again, the wash to do a "clean" dive is about 1.5-2hrs, I use 1.5hrs, no biggie. 30fpm ascents, and I don't care whether you do 1,1,1 at 30,20,10, or three at 20, just pick one.

Of course add as much conservatism as you see fit. I don't on the SI's but I do on the NDL's, and as I've said, it's worked for me for a long time, and is darn close to that of the computers I have seen during the same dive from others.

This is also my main reason for taking a back seat in all this silliness. Again, for Rec NDL diving, it really is a moot point, but I agree with Mike here, it can lead to complacency and reliance, which isn't a good thing.

I'm sure I've left something out, but as lamont says, figure it out from here, it ain't tough, and you'll get it on your own. Try it but use a computer until you're confident you can do it if that's what you wish.

Regards

Steve

Some people are just looking to pick a fight that isn't there.

Derek S:
Some people are just looking to pick a fight that isn't there.
Some actually believe they deserve this info for free and everyone else should hop to it to give it to them.

They can either a) Learn to search on the internet b) take the class and ask c) Learn about decompression and figure out some "rules of thumb" (corrected as per pants! grammar lesson....corrected again two ficks my spel mistok as per H2dudey).

JeffG:
rule of thumbs.
What's the rule of thumbs?

OK I'm just being a jerk. It's "rules of thumb."

No, no.. it's Ruler of Thumb
don't you ever watch The History Channel?
*laughing*

pants!:
What's the rule of thumbs?

OK I'm just being a jerk. It's "rules of thumb."
There...changed it for you..%$^%$%^$

JeffG:
Some actually believe they deserve this info for free and everyone else should hop to it to give it to them.

They can either a) Learn to search on the internet b) take the class and ask c) Learn about decompression and figure out some "rules of thumb" (corrected as per pants! grammer lesson).

Exactly... I was thinking someone would say "because so & so says..." then the anti-dive computer fight would begin. As I said earlier... I'll pay for the class, but thanks for the primer. I grew up and taught the "follow the tables or you will die" concept, but I always thought there had to be a better way of doing it. Now that I am out of my self-impossed hiatus from diving, I am primed to learn a different way of doing things... just don't make me throw away my BWOD (and no, I don't wanna hijack my own thread with that, besides I sold them).

JeffG:
Learn about decompression and figure out some "rules of thumb"
(corrected as per pants! grammer lesson)

sorry JeffG, that's "grammar"

not "grammer" (though I hear Grammer, Indiana, is a lovely place)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom