computers, watches, and ultrasonic cleaners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question:

What would happen if you cleaned a dive computer or a watch with a depth gauge in an ultrasonic cleaner? Would the sensor be damaged?

I just got a Citizen Promaster Aqualand, and there are no recommendations against ultrasonic cleaning in my watch manual. Only to stay away from solvent cleaners and such.

I have no idea but would guess it's not a good idea. Can you write to the manufacturer?

Have done so, not aware of problems.

I have cleaned 625 mesh (20 microns) with an ultra-sonic cleaner (it is one of the only ways). 625 mesh is very delicate, so I cannot see how a lab grade cleaner would damage an electronic watch / gauge.
That being said, I could see some mechanical parts being damaged or uncalibrated by the vibration.
Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer for anything with moving parts.

Quick question:

What would happen if you cleaned a dive computer or a watch with a depth gauge in an ultrasonic cleaner? Would the sensor be damaged?

I can't imagine any situation where a watch/computer would REQUIRE ultrasonic cleaning. Accordingly even a remote risk would outweigh any possible benefit.

Warm soapy water + soft brush + 10 seconds = clean as it's gonna get.

I can't imagine any situation where a watch/computer would REQUIRE ultrasonic cleaning. Accordingly even a remote risk would outweigh any possible benefit.

Warm soapy water + soft brush + 10 seconds = clean as it's gonna get.

Well, as a "just in case" kinda thing. It would be nice to know.

Take my everyday watch, for instance. Just when you think its clean, pop it into an ultrasonic cleaner and watch even more dirt come out.

But overall, I agree. I don't think it'll reach that point, but there's always a possibility.

Well, as a "just in case" kinda thing. It would be nice to know.

Take my everyday watch, for instance. Just when you think its clean, pop it into an ultrasonic cleaner and watch even more dirt come out.

But overall, I agree. I don't think it'll reach that point, but there's always a possibility.

As an avid collector of mechanical watches, I'd tell you that an "everyday watch" shouldn't go into an ultrasonic cleaner either. Perhaps if it's a quick dip for a quartz watch, but if it's mechanical keep it out of the ultrasonic.

I wouldn't put my watch or computer in a ultrasonic cleaner for fear it may screw it up.

I use DOW scrubbing bubbles to clean my watch, works great.
I have a Tag Heuer atainless steel watch, and have been doing so for the past 10 years.

Jim breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom