computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerryzim

Reaction score
I am in the market for a dive computer. I've got aging eyes and need big easy to read display. I've been particularly interested in the Aeris Atmos II, and the Versa Pro consoles (they seem pretty similar). Here's my question: The new Oceanic Veo 200--how's it different from the Versa Pro by the same manufacture. The features look identical from the chart provided by Oceanic. Cosmetics are different, but beyond that, I can't tell. Is there a size difference?--Anyone know out there? Thanks in advance.

Both those computers are manufactured by a company called Pelagic Pressure Systems, and are for the most part pretty much the same.

Pelagic makes computers for several companies, and while each company can tweak and do some little things to make their computers their own, they are all using the same general software.

All in all they are pretty good computers. I, of course, (my name spells it out) am partial to one of the other companies Pelagic makes computers for.

=)

They are the same except for the size. Pelagic makes the guts and then Oceanic put their stamp on some. Same for Aeris and I think Sherwood. But to answer the question, Oceanic used to make the data 100, and a bunch more computers along with the SPG and they all fit in the same boot, so no matter which setup you had, you could use the same boot. Upgrade the computer, no prob, just pop it out, put the new one in. They got rid of all the lower end computers about a year, year and a half ago and started making the Versa and Versa Pro. They were bigger diameter than the old style and had their own boot. So, if you wanted the Versa, you had to buy the versa and the boot and usually the SPG because no one wanted to break up the set. This didn't set too well with people, I know it didn't set to well with the shops when they had to deal with people that just wanted the computer. I think Oceanic figured this out pretty quick and came out wit the Veo 100 and 200 which are back to the original "hockey puck" style and fit in the old boots. So if you had a Data100 and wanted to upgrade all you have to do is buy the computer alone and pop it in your old boot.
In short Versa=Veo100 and Versa Pro=Veo200. The ONLY thing different about them is the look - functions, features and ability are exactly the same.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like, if I'm understanding this correctly, that the Versa Pro is a larger diameter instrument than the Veo 200. Do you think that translates as larger & easier to read symbols? The site didn't give dimensions, so I couldn't compare. And thanks again for the prompt responses---I love you guys! Jerry

jerryzim once bubbled...
I am in the market for a dive computer. I've got aging eyes and need big easy to read display.

You might consider buying those stick on bifocals for your mask. I hear they work well. Personally I dive with single use throw away soft contacts, one eye for close, one for distance.

My first computer was a DataPro - I bought it because it has a huge display with nice large numbers - BIG Mistake.

Now you have to figure that older people (like me) are going to be attracted to a dive computer with a large display, am I right? But the DataPro has one of the MOST LIBERAL dive tables on the market. This is the exact opposite of what older divers need as age is a risk factor for DCI.

So while being able to see the numbers is important, don’t forget to look at what type of model the computer is using, as that is important too. Now as to which model is best, that is a matter for you to decide for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom