Concatenated Posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As usual...a typical legitimate question, and the "powers" that be, don't respond! Let's see "powers" we complain about the eliminated smileys...we complain about the over moderation...and now there's a complaint about posts morphing into each other...nice "friendly atmosphere" you guys are promoting!

What are you asking for?

The question was asked and answered. What more is needed?

What are you asking for?

The question was asked and answered. What more is needed?

Hi Howard.

TC replied, but even in his reply it seemed like speculation. Can you provide an answer from your perpective, please? I'm OK with closing the thread after you answer, if you are concerned about non-productive discussion.

For easy reference the two questions were:

Are there benefits to ScubaBoard for implementing this feature? (Faster searches, less storage space, ...???)

Would consideration be given to disabling this feature?

A bit more than yes or no answers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

It's an anti-bumping measure.

Based on the the current response, we don't see any reason to reverse this. This function is widely used on a variety of forums, and aside from the 14 respondents to this thread, where the reaction seems to be split on like vs dislike... there hasn't been much said at all about it.

As you noted, it's a minor inconvenience to the chat threads, but this function can't be limited to a specific forum.

I hope this answers your question, and as always, ScubaBoard appreciates hearing feedback from active users.

I have a question that originates in this thread but really could go elsewhere. It is an honest question as well...

Why is bumping posts against the TOS? Just curious. Also, as I stated above, I believe that even with this conaten...blah blah of posts a member can still bump a thread and have it hit the top of the list again. I experienced this very thing so unless something has changed in the set up, this does not stop bumping. It just seems to limit the # of new posts when someone is bumping the thread.

Thanks for in advance for an answer.....

It's an anti-bumping measure.

Based on the the current response, we don't see any reason to reverse this. This function is widely used on a variety of forums, and aside from the 14 respondents to this thread, where the reaction seems to be split on like vs dislike... there hasn't been much said at all about it.

As you noted, it's a minor inconvenience to the chat threads, but this function can't be limited to a specific forum.

I hope this answers your question, and as always, ScubaBoard appreciates hearing feedback from active users.

Thank you. That completely answers my question.

Steve,

I didn't make up the TOS, so I can't necessarily answer that for you.

I think you understand the pros and cons of bumping, and why (especially in many sub-forums on the site) that it would be beneficial to the "bumper" to bump a thread.

If anyone has any compelling reasons as to why this should be reconsidered, other than, "you can't snipe posts anymore" then I'd have to say I'm sorry about that.

(and as the guy who won the 50,000th post prize in the original MOF; I am sorry about that, but it is what it is.)

I appreciate that Howard. I was just curious. I can easily live with the conan....blah blah of posts. I was just crious about the thread bumping.

As Steve suggested, there are times when you read a post that you really feel hits the spot on a subject. To me, that is what the "Like" button is all about.

With this new 'feature' I sometimes see later posts by the original person who I originally had reason to agree with, but their later, condensed posts may not have warranted any thanks, or even rated quite the opposite reaction to a "Thanks". To me "thanks" is not a toy, but a tool as I use it. I realize someone's tools can be another person's toys (we run into that a lot on SB).

This recent change is not the end of the world, but I was quite surprised when two posts on two separate days were condensed. I was under the impression that there was a time factor involved, but upon reading Howard's responses I see the classified bumping could not have been avoided.

NOT that I am totally against an occasional bump of a classified, when your offering has sat idle for a while. (I have done so myself.) With this new policy if I go back and adjust a price because an item has not sold or attracted a response, or I wish add info on the product or service, my update will NOT make the thread "active", if it is condensed into the last post, so my changes and updates to the classified will remain lost in history.

If this is true, it will certainly impact the effectiveness of placing classifieds in this forum.

If the condensed addition does make the old thread active, then I am unaware of it.

As I said, not the end of the world, but every change has consequences, and often some of them are unanticipated, and may rate as Unintended Consequences.

TC answered it perfectly. There is nothing for the PTB to add.

No, it can't be set for only part of ScubaBoard: it's all or nothing.

gypsyjim - regarding the like button, I have begun to use a post of mine to break up the other guy's posts, so that which post I like will be clear. You may have seen something like "Post-like posting" to break the string.

As far as posting new information on a classified, I'm not sure how to help except to suggest getting a friend to break up your posts.

Back
Top Bottom