Confessions of a former Fusion hater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased an almost new (4 total fresh water dives) Aqualung Fusion Tech with Aircore and the Thermal Fusion undergarment for $800. I think that was a heck of a deal that I couldn't pass--particularly because of the great information here and in the thread referenced in the initial post.

@Marie13 being that you seem to have a lot of experience switching from a trilam suit to the Fusion and diving it for over a year now, any tips, tricks, or info you want to share about diving it?

I am looking forward to comfortably diving Monterey all winter long :)

I just purchased an almost new (4 total fresh water dives) Aqualung Fusion Tech with Aircore and the Thermal Fusion undergarment for $800. I think that was a heck of a deal that I couldn't pass--particularly because of the great information here and in the thread referenced in the initial post.

@Marie13 being that you seem to have a lot of experience switching from a trilam suit to the Fusion and diving it for over a year now, any tips, tricks, or info you want to share about diving it?

Congrats on getting a drysuit.

Is your suit the aircore or drycore version?

I am sure those reading this have differing opinions on whether you got a heck of a deal or not...but what is important is what you think.

The Thermal Fusion is a very warm undersuit. I have one but have only used it a couple times because it is rather too warm for me except when the waters where I am are at its coldest. But despite not needing to use it much, I find it is comfortable to don and is well made.

If you are using the Fusion boots...I found the velcro in them abraded on the heel of the feet of the suit. I put strips of fuzzy sided velcro in the boots to cover all but a narrow strip of the hook side in the center to line up with the strip of fuzzy velcro on the sock. So far so good.

Lube your zipper well. I use both the Mcnett product that came with my suit and beeswax. I was also given a tip from the local shop to use liquid parafin (parafin oil) applied (worked in) with an old toothbrush or acid brush to the material of the zipper next to the teeth to preserve the suppleness and longevity of it.

-Z

Congrats on getting a drysuit.

Is your suit the aircore or drycore version?

I am sure those reading this have differing opinions on whether you got a heck of a deal or not...but what is important is what you think.

The Thermal Fusion is a very warm undersuit. I have one but have only used it a couple times because it is rather too warm for me except when the waters where I am are at its coldest. But despite not needing to use it much, I find it is comfortable to don and is well made.

If you are using the Fusion boots...I found the velcro in them abraded on the heel of the feet of the suit. I put strips of fuzzy sided velcro in the boots to cover all but a narrow strip of the hook side in the center to line up with the strip of fuzzy velcro on the sock. So far so good.

Lube your zipper well. I use both the Mcnett product that came with my suit and beeswax. I was also given a tip from the local shop to use liquid parafin (parafin oil) applied (worked in) with an old toothbrush or acid brush to the material of the zipper next to the teeth to preserve the suppleness and longevity of it.

-Z

Thank you!

The suit is the AirCore with the tech skin with the Neck Tite neck and SLT oval wrist seal systems. I reckon it was a great price for a practically new suit and the matching $400 undergarment. DRIS has the sport version listed for $2,500 right now and the market price for very used and older suits seems to be similar to what I paid--judging by what I found on here, on eBay, Craigslist, and in the multiple sell/trade groups on FB.

I truly appreciate all the maintenance tips. I will buy those things to keep the zipper lubbed.

For an Aircore suit coupled with the Thermal Fusion undergarment, that is a pretty good deal.

I just went to the garage to check what products I have for the zipper:

My fusion came with a stick of McNett Zip Tech:
upload_2020-11-23_11-6-41.jpeg

The wax stick Trident Super Blue zipper lube stick (item # LP25):
upload_2020-11-23_11-8-25.jpeg

The liquid paraffin I bought at a local pharmacy and they dispensed it from a large bottle into a smaller bottle that should last me more than a few lifetimes as a little bit goes a long long way:
127047392_1551874068353887_9070794985523642824_n.jpg

I have also used some beeswax left over from an old candle making kit my kids have, and in a pinch I am sure any paraffin candle or even some paraffin canning wax will do just fine.

Check your suit's tag...some of the aircores were made in mexico and they had problems with the seams. Aqualung did not do a recall but they will replace the suit under warranty. There was no recall because it was not a safety issue but the situation was bad enough that they moved all production of the Aircores to British Columbia, Canada. If your suit's core is from the mexico facility then I suggest contacting Aqualung or an Aqualung dealer about sending it in for replacement. They only replace the suit's core, not the inflator/dump valves or the skin and seals (unless you have glued seals). Last year it took a few months to get my suit back as they were swamped with warranty claims and suffered from lack of shelf stock so each suit was made and sent out in order of claim. I assume this has calmed down a bit and the turnaround may be quicker.

If your suit has the Si-Tech neck and wrist systems then I highly suggest picking up an extra set of silicone wrist and neck seals to have in your save-a-dive kit...good insurance. I keep a set dusted with talcum powder sealed in a large ziplock bag.

If have the si-tech oval wrist rings in your suit and you are thinking about drygloves and can wait a bit, I should be receiving a set of Rolock 90 dryglove system to test and review...if you don't want to wait then I can vouch right now that the Ultima dryglove system works very well.

One last tip...I put a piece of utility cord through the pull tab of the outer plastic zipper pull (the protective cover for the dryzip) to make it easier to reach and pull when gloved up.

Be sure your valves are snugged down as if they are loose it could be a source for water ingress.

Some folks have had issues with their dump valve letting in a bit of water if it is all the way open...I have not had this issue with my suit (knock on wood) but diving with a click or two closed is the common preventative measure and does not materially affect venting air from the suit.

-Z

When changing, don't stand on the floor (car, beach, etc), in your suit prior to fitting your boots. Always use a mat.
Also don't stand on the leg, when putting the suit on or taking it off (or the back of the suit).
If you avoid doing this, you will avoid puncturing the suit - the same goes for any suit really. (Talk to anyone who repairs suits, they will say there are always small punctures in the back of the legs, and back of the suit where people stand on them. )

When putting the suit on, pull on the liner, not the outer. (Thats specific to the fusion).
It is also far better to get your buddy to help you take the suit off, pull on the foot/toe. This is my only real negative with the suit, taking it off is not really a solo task!

I also recommend keeping spare wrist and neck seals if you are using silicon seals. (Although you can dive with a glove on and no wrist seal if push comes to shove.

When changing, don't stand on the floor (car, beach, etc), in your suit prior to fitting your boots. Always use a mat.
Also don't stand on the leg, when putting the suit on or taking it off (or the back of the suit).
If you avoid doing this, you will avoid puncturing the suit - the same goes for any suit really. (Talk to anyone who repairs suits, they will say there are always small punctures in the back of the legs, and back of the suit where people stand on them. )

When putting the suit on, pull on the liner, not the outer. (Thats specific to the fusion).
It is also far better to get your buddy to help you take the suit off, pull on the foot/toe. This is my only real negative with the suit, taking it off is not really a solo task!

The advice about protecting the feet/socks of the suit is good.

I use the Fusion boots and just keep them semi-permanently attached to my suit...this protects the feet of the suit when donning/doffing it. The velcro ring and tabs of the suit and boot are tenacious enough that I suspend my suit from the boots on a hanger like this to dry and store:

upload_2020-11-23_11-43-40.jpeg

I mostly shore dive (quarries and lakes )and keep a folding chair like this in my car to use when putting my suit on and taking it off:
?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3jfd3B7nxg4lrXP0LGfRnRfdl5xZUc7Gv5F0Hvvu93Ediqva-BAv7hiIsONiOR0YR-Nj792pE&usqp=CAc.jpg

I have not found that I need help getting into or out of my suit but some might.

I typically unzip, get my head and arms out then push the suit down around my knees. I then sit down on the chair and pull the suit off each leg using the boots.

I use the following as a transport bag and often will place that in front of the chair and put my feet in it so I am essentially taking the suit off directly into the bag, I then accordion the suit ensuring the zipper part is on top with the wrists covered by one of the accordion folds for protection:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjBgO0mJZEqjDpAbUYjc_vKeywIMtmkMbVGA&usqp=CAU.jpg

-Z

Good luck with your new suit! I am actually switching back to a trilam. I’m sick of stuff not fitting quite right. Fusion arms have always been just enough too long that they get in the way and I’m always pulling them up. Plus the danged zipper placement. I’ve got a custom DUI FLX Extreme on order, plus a custom Duo 300 one piece undersuit. I should have it just before Christmas.

The core of the suit is cut overly large. I was surprised how large the core is without the skin. Here is a picture of mine for reference...it is a 2XL/3Xl model:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsvi1lNiwyJGQdVVz6LPw9T782743RG2yUXQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

I am 5'10" and when I purchased my suit I weighed about 240lbs. My weight now fluctuates somewhere between 185lbs and 195lbs...at the time I was doing my shopping the 2xl/3xl suit fit comfortably all around but I was also not as knowledegable about fit as I am now. Now, because I don't need the extra space in the middle it is bit long (particularly in the legs)...but not so much that it causes me any issues in the water that would drive me to buy another suit before this one wears out. Overall I probably should have purchased a size L/XL and that would certainly fit better now with the weight loss.

For comparison to my 5'10" frame, Marie13 is about 5'5" or 5'6" if a recall correctly as my wife purchased a DUI technoflex drysuit from her. I may be mistaken but Marie13s fusion is a size L/XL...given that is the size I should be in at my height it is no wonder that the arms on that would be quite long for her.

Like a lot of things, one learns quite a bit on their first purchase that gets applied to the "next time". @cipherbreak , it is good that you got a good deal on your suit as it would be a travesty if you had incurred the full retail price only to find it did not fit or otherwise not workout for you. The Fusion suits in the US are quite a bit more than they cost here in Belgium for some reason....I see used Fusion Bullets selling for more than $1000 US, here a new one costs 1600 Euros.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom