Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Geobound

Regarding your desire for a package and the lifetime warranty...

There is some fine print here. Find out what it is. Aqua Lung regs have an alternating cycle of inspect and rebuild every other year. It’s probably the same for Apeks if I had to guess since they’re related companies. For example, if you buy a reg today, in a year, you inspect with an authorized dealer, then in 2 years, you rebuild and do a full service. Lather, rinse, repeat. That gives you parts for life. You have to do this on schedule for perpetuity to keep that warranty and parts for life. If you are late or skip, you’re out. You pay for the service and labor of inspection and rebuilds/servicing but not the kits for the first and second stages. The kits are only required for the overhaul/service/rebuild.

While it all sounds great, the truth is, if you don’t dive enough, it doesn’t financially make sense for you to inspect and service on an annual basis just to keep the parts for life deal so you’d have to look at that and weigh the benefits vs the cost. I am at a point where I still feel like I dive enough (just slightly over 100 dives a year) that I still continue with the service schedule for my regs. All in, I pay about $90 for first and second stages, including my octo for the full service with free parts. The inspection is something like $25-$35. I forget exactly.

There aren’t as many moving parts to a BC so I’m not too worried about that as I am with regs. Ask for the fine print, read it, and also have it explained to you so you understand what you’re signing up for and what you’re actually getting.

Scubapro’s parts for life program used to be that you had to buy a a full kit - regs (1st, 2nd, and octo), BC, and computer to qualify. I’m not sure if that has changed. If you already have a D4i, then that eliminates that benefit, assuming nothing has changed with their program. My guess is it also requires some form of maintenance schedule.

I wouldn’t be concerned about mixing brands. I have Aqua Lung regs, Scubapro BC, and a Shearwater computer, and an Oceanic backup. The most important thing is that I can go to 1 dive shop and have it all fixed and figured out. I like my local dive shop. So keep that in mind, too.

I would also consider gently used gear here on Classifieds or on Facebook’s Scuba Gear Swap and Shop. I suggest paying for goods and services with PayPal and not using send money to friends or any other payment method with little to no recourse. You can get some good deals. I sure did, too.

I hope this helps!

Yur goona die! oops sorry what was the topic?

@Geobound you have hit SB's most sensitive spot: gear choices. You will always be wrong! That is the only answer.

Take a step back. Marshall what you know and learned and come back to this thread. Be prepared to call out any of us on our recommendations.

P.S.My recommendation is to buy el-chepo used eBay regs...

Yur goona die! oops sorry what was the topic?

@Geobound you have hit SB's most sensitive spot: gear choices. You will always be wrong! That is the only answer.

Take a step back. Marshall what you know and learned and come back to this thread. Be prepared to call out any of us on our recommendations.

P.S.My recommendation is to buy el-chepo used eBay regs...
Actually my real recommendation is to take a few steps back and re-condsider each of your purchases.

Spend some time on SB and learn about gear.

You are missing the point. He is using a computer in gauge mode and a bottom timer. He is therefore not using a computer, and therefore has no use for any computer functions, be they good or bad.

for him, but that doesn't mean those functions aren't useful to others.

none of those are reasons not to get the shearwater. the shearwater still has a better screen than your uwatec, more features, and excellent customer service and support from the company. it costs more, but offers value for the money.

your argument might as well be to get a motorola flip phone because it still can call people just as well as an iphone x.
There is no Shearwater produce could out-perform my Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox or any modern cheapie in rec diving. NDL, max depth, dive time are the ONLY three parameters that I need to monitor in rec dive. What else do I need? Colour display etc etc ? What have they got to do with scuba diving?
As for value for money, at that price I can buy several cheapie and outlive one single Shearwater.

for him, but that doesn't mean those functions aren't useful to others.
I can ONLY speak for myself!!!!!!

Over last 15yrs I had dived with less than 10 divers who were using a Shearwater for either rec or tec dive.

There would be no reason for this system to be shipped to America (unles the Op takes it with him to the US). The Op lives in Canada. Not withstanding that, 1508Euros works out to roughly $2277CAD so with the current exchange rates, unfortunately, it is not as good of a deal as it is on your side of the pond.
Apologies.
Yes, meant i say Canada. Yes, the rate wouldn’t be as good for you as for me.

I have an office in the GTA and one in the north, so I could conceivably cover everything from Oshawa to London, Lake Ontario to Tobermory and just about everything in between. LOL.....

So yes if there are a few good shops that you know of, I would love to hear about them.

Thank you for the offer.
In the GTA, I would recommend The Dive Academy in Oakville. Talk to Dean. He is a great guy and tends to think long term. He wants to make sure that you are happy and that you keep coming back as a happy, satisfied customer. (I see @Pyro_ has also recommended The Dive Acadamy.)

If you find yourself in KW, I would go to Tri-City Scuba & talk to Drew or Ross. Tri-City is my LDS, and I trust both Drew and Ross totally. They will guide you, but they will ultimately let you buy what you want (as opposed to selling you what they want to sell).

Also in KW is Dean's Sport & Dive. (No connection to Dean at the Dive Academy.) His shop is geared a little more toward Tech, but it may be worth a look.

I hope that helps.

Edited to correct location of The Dive Academy.

If you are confused and they’re not helping. I would suggest getting your gear for a cheaper price and easier off the internet.

I like my LDS but I know that if I went in looking for a wing, (I know OP isn’t) they’d try to steer me towards one of their packages. These packages contain ok equipment but not ideal for me and you have to go by what’s in the package, you can’t swap or change anything.

If I were you, take a stroll on the internet and find a package that suits you whether it’s a wing or bcd or whatever.

I can’t give you examples because I do t know what you’re looking for.

It seems to me, you are more focused on figuring out why your shops are steering you towards things than getting the “things” you need and want?

Whenever I see this topic come up about which LDS “package” to buy it makes me almost sick to my stomach. It’s the LDS deciding what to sell to the uninformed newbie who is wide eyed and more than willing to spend their hard earned money. I understand dive shops need to survive and all that, but there is always an element of trickery and deceit that bothers me. They pray that the new diver doesn’t discover a site like scubaboard because more than likely their lined up slam sale will be stalled. They would rather have a know-nothing come in so they can sell them everything before they wise up. I just wish more shops were better informed on what all the possibilities are for gearing up new divers based on the eventual intentions of that diver. A lot of shop owners and personel don’t even know themselves about the multitudes of alternative and cutting edge gear out there that might suit the new diver better. All they’re doing is just selling what a few big manufacturers are supplying and giving deals on.
If I lost all my gear in a fire and had to start over again from square one, it would be entirely different from what I originally bought. I remember being so mad that I sucked up all the hype in my LDS when I first started, like a big hungry catfish I couldn’t resist the bait. I spent a hell of a lot of money on stuff that eventually all got changed out, except for the reg set. Even with the reg set, the console eventually was replaced with wrist mounted instruments.
I think the free parts for life programs are a scam. With proper cleaning and care, regs shouldn’t be torn down that often. Every time a reg set is serviced, undo exposure to damage is possible, especially with sloppy and heavy handed techs. If a reg doesn’t need to be serviced then don’t do it!
My advice to the OP is just to calm down and put the fire out. Do more research and start more specific gear threads. There are infinitely better ways to go besides buying packages at full retail from the smiling faces. I’m not saying not to buy from them, I’m just saying to know what is best for you and the diving you’ll be doing, and don’t get led by them based on THEIR profit motivations. They should feel lucky you walked in at all! Go in informed and let them know that you have been independently educating yourself. They’ll either respect it, or they will be pissed.
If they are open and willing to listen and work with you then great, if they get pissy and arrogant then move on.

Back
Top Bottom