congor eels help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi skinnydogdives from another Irish diver.

The lobster pots I'm familiar with have an opening in the top where the lobsters can't get out but a conger probably could - you must have had a different kind of pot.

I only heard this amazing fact about congers in our waters all being female just recently - incredible stuff. Where are all the males?

I've never heard that it's illegal to mess around with the pots in Ire but it is illegal to take any sort of shellfish whilst on scuba. Of course the fishermen don't like divers going at their pot's so it's probally bad advice to tell other people to go at them.

Saying that i would always let a conger out if I came across one and if I saw a female lobster covered in eggs i would release it too.

Skinny and Irish diver- you are great people to know. I would do the same. I have seen in Thailand huge steel cages full off goat fish, copper band butterfly, squirrel and soldier fish etc. being hunted for aquarium trade. 30% invariably die of shock and handling. I have tried to several times to free them. Next time i plan plan to take a plier. You may think I'm taking away somebody's livelihood but these fishes are not meant to be aquariums. Here we have a major problem of bycatch with trawling. Huge no. of unwanted fishes, sea snakes , eels get caught on the net and thrown back dead into the sea. Now we cannot hunt the elephants and tigers like 100 years before due to the laws. Similar laws are definetly required to protect the marine species.

In Massachusetts you can't even touch a lobster pot that breaks free and washes up on your own land.

"For anyone, except the owner, to handle destroy or molest any lobster or crab pot or other fishing gear including any gear swept up on the shore, beaches or flats whether public or private, or to take fish there from is illegal."

hi all
i've just asked the question of the man but you no how long government can take to get anything done so we might have to wait a while to see what the law says here
apart from that hows every bodies season going

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom