Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, more pressure is more air. On some of the steel tanks that are stamped 2400 psi hae a bar rating that is a little more. I can't remember what the exact number is though. Anyways about those conshelf's in this regulator forum

I just took my 2nd stage apart, and according to my repair manual, the diaphram in it was exclusively used on the military version of the Conshelf XIV. I am assuming that 4000psi was therefore a military standard at some point.

Creed:
I just took my 2nd stage apart, and according to my repair manual, the diaphram in it was exclusively used on the military version of the Conshelf XIV. I am assuming that 4000psi was therefore a military standard at some point.
Creed,What's the part #

Ray2:
Creed,What's the part #
The one I have handy is 78-11827.

I tried to go diving with KS Bob(from scubaboard) today, and while the dive was a bust(didn't get enough weights, had trouble with the rental gear, etc), I found out something interesting. I decided to hook up my Conshelf XIV, to see if it leaked. Well, it did, but only from a lp port plug I hadn't tightened up properly. The 2nd stage breathed better than the rental piece, at least on the surface. This gear has not been overhauled in ~8 years(at least), and it still breathes like a champ. Amazing! Is this the level of longevity and performance I can expect from this series of reg?

Creed:
Is this the level of longevity and performance I can expect from this series of reg?
I would say that it is partially to do with the ruggedness and reliability of the reg, but also i would say that it may be because although it has the years, it may not have the dives on it that warrant a service.
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it. I tell most people to go about 2 years before having a check up done.

rescuediver009:
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it.

I agree with that too...

rescuediver009:
I would say that it is partially to do with the ruggedness and reliability of the reg, but also i would say that it may be because although it has the years, it may not have the dives on it that warrant a service.
While it is a great performer, I would not recommend waiting for something to go wrong before servicing it. I tell most people to go about 2 years before having a check up done.

I completely agree. The only reason I even hooked it up was to see if it leaked. No diving with it until after the overhaul.

was the 1st I believe. They still work great if you set them up correctly. They were rejected by the Navy at 1st because the exhaust valve was too small and created too much resistance. After it was enlarged they took it on the spot and are still using the Conshelf today in some areas. The Conshelf VI was made in a Non-Magnetic version and a Civilian version called NAVCON VI. If you would like more information on rebuilding them please see my website for details.

OWIC647:
was the 1st I believe. They still work great if you set them up correctly. They were rejected by the Navy at 1st because the exhaust valve was too small and created too much resistance. After it was enlarged they took it on the spot and are still using the Conshelf today in some areas. The Conshelf VI was made in a Non-Magnetic version and a Civilian version called NAVCON VI. If you would like more information on rebuilding them please see my website for details.

Hhmmm.... never heard anyone in Malaysia talked about those...

Are there any major differences between the XII and the XII? The first stage XIV rebuild kit works for a XII, but the 2nd stage XIV doesn't mention the XII. Does it also use a XIV rebuild kit? Is there a serious performance difference between the two?

Back
Top Bottom