Conshelf xiv ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanooby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am just getting in to diving and im trying to by my equipment little by little,i found a set of conshelf xiv second stage regs with a conshelf xiv first stage reg for $100. can anyone tell me if this would be a good setup for a beginner and if this is reliable gear.
:confused:

Welcome to the board.

The Conshelf regulators are solid, dependable and easily serviced. The Internal parts are the same ones still being used in the AquaLung Titan line. Any AquaLung service center can service the Conshelfs. The Conshelf 14 was the last of the USD/AL metal second stage regs made. The Conshelf 14 was the choice of the US military for decades and was still being produced by AquaLung until last year. I have one of the last Conshelf 14s produced, as well as several older Conshelfs (XI,s, XII, SE and 22). I am a big fan of Conshelfs and, in my opinion, a Conshelf XIV would make an excellent first reg. It's balanced, rugged and will give you good service for many years.

As a service tech I cringe when someone brings in an old school reg they got at a good deal.

The problem with ALL used gear is this: People get rid of dive gear because they dove it so much its time to get new gear, thus its seriously in need of love and attention or the trash OR People get rid of their dive gear because they don't dive it hardly at all and that sand and salt from the one trip they did three years ago is still eating away at the brass.

I don't recommend people buy used gear ever because the average new diver doesn't know what to look for when looking at used gear. Your LDS is there at the ready to supply you with brand new, rock solid, reliable, warrantied gear. Many of them will even sell used rental gear periodically which counts as used but you at least have someone to wag your finger at if their is an issue.

That being said the Conshelf 14 was a bombproof regulator and you see a similar design on the front of Kirby Morgans still to this day. Most service parts, diaphrams, seats, poppets, ect. are still readily available. Replacement parts aren't too difficult to find because everyone's got an old Aqualung/U.S. Divers for sell.

The best answer to give you is; I wouldn't buy it. There is no way for anyone here to gauge its reliability without seeing the reg. Add that you can get a brand new reg for under $400 that weighs half as much and there ya go...

Paladin,

How would you compare the 14s with the R109s?

I only used an R109 once back in the early '90s. At the time, I thought it was a nice reg and, looking back, I would say they are about equal in quality and breathability with the metal AquaLung seconds of the time.

I only used an R109 once back in the early '90s. At the time, I thought it was a nice reg and, looking back, I would say they are about equal in quality and breathability with the metal AquaLung seconds of the time.

Thanks, I come across more of the 109s than I do the 14s. I've been looking for an octo and I've got it narrowed down to one of these. Every time I see a mr12, I get outbid, so I've given up on those.

As a service tech I cringe when someone brings in an old school reg they got at a good deal.

The problem with ALL used gear is this: People get rid of dive gear because they dove it so much its time to get new gear, thus its seriously in need of love and attention or the trash OR People get rid of their dive gear because they don't dive it hardly at all and that sand and salt from the one trip they did three years ago is still eating away at the brass.

I don't recommend people buy used gear ever because the average new diver doesn't know what to look for when looking at used gear. Your LDS is there at the ready to supply you with brand new, rock solid, reliable, warrantied gear. Many of them will even sell used rental gear periodically which counts as used but you at least have someone to wag your finger at if their is an issue.

That being said the Conshelf 14 was a bombproof regulator and you see a similar design on the front of Kirby Morgans still to this day. Most service parts, diaphrams, seats, poppets, ect. are still readily available. Replacement parts aren't too difficult to find because everyone's got an old Aqualung/U.S. Divers for sell.

The best answer to give you is; I wouldn't buy it. There is no way for anyone here to gauge its reliability without seeing the reg. Add that you can get a brand new reg for under $400 that weighs half as much and there ya go...

Then you would die of a huge cringe attack if I ever came into your shop. ALL my stuff is old school. I see no reason to by the new stuff when the "old school" gear was made to last several lifetimes. Besides, I don't like plastic regulators. Don't trust 'em. There is nothing wrong with buying used gear. I have been doing it for years. So have many others here on this board.

Oh, and this is the Vintage Equipment forum. No new stuff allowed!:D

There is nothing wrong with old gear. I've got an original Minstral and a Swim-master MR12 that I love to dive. I cringe at the unsuspecting new diver that got a rig on ebay and thought it was a gem but doesn't realize the cost of fixing it up.

Last edited:
Thanks, I come across more of the 109s than I do the 14s. I've been looking for an octo and I've got it narrowed down to one of these. Every time I see a mr12, I get outbid, so I've given up on those.

The thing about the Conshelf 14 second is that it is the same as any other metal USD/AL second stage. If you can find one marked for the Aquarius or the Calypso, it will be the same except for the little sticker on the purge button. Inside, they are all the same. The levers changed a bit over the years, but that's about it. I've got Aquarius seconds as octos on a couple of my Conshelfs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom