Conshelf xiv ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about the Conshelf 14 second is that it is the same as any other metal USD/AL second stage. If you can find one marked for the Aquarius or the Calypso, it will be the same except for the little sticker on the purge button. Inside, they are all the same. The levers changed a bit over the years, but that's about it. I've got Aquarius seconds as octos on a couple of my Conshelfs.

Now that is great information to know. That opens up some possibilities.

Thank you.

There is nothing wrong with old gear. I've got an original Minstral and a Swim-master MR12 that I love to dive. I cringe at the unsuspecting new diver that got a rig on ebay and thought it was a gem but doesn't realize the cost of fixing it up.

There's always that chance, of course. However, a Conshelf isn't difficult or expensive to service and I've got one here (Conshelf XI) that was a real dog when I got it but a little vinegar and a service kit later it became one of my favorites.

Interestingly, all the regs I've bought off Ebay turned out to be in pretty good shape. They only needed standard servicing. I got the dog at a yard sale for $1.50 and put about 40 bucks in it bringing it back to life.

It's really hard to kill a Conshelf. You have to work at it.

Kinda like my 1959 AquaMaster. They just won't die.

Now that is great information to know. That opens up some possibilities.

Thank you.

One thing, the older metal regs (the ones with the dimpled covers) from the 1960s had smaller exhaust valves than the later, smooth faced ones from the 1970s onward. All the Aquarius regs have the bigger exhaust. So do the Conshelfs from XI up. The early Calypsos and Conshelfs (1960s) had the dimpled faces but the later ones had the smooth covers.

I gotta weigh in on this one. I purchased a conshelf 14 new in the box in 1984. I used it constantly for the next 15 years. It is heavier than its more recent cousins but so endurable that you have to run over it with a truck to damage it. It has a limited number of LP ports, so if you are drysuiting it, you will be one LP port short, whcih is why mine get used less often. I love that reg. 27 years later it still works well. Don't know if $100 is a fair price, but it is a very reliable reg.

The Conselfs, bullet proof regs without a doubt I have several. If you want a new, still in the box 14 a friend of mine has one for sale for 400 clams. PM me and I can set you up.
ZDD

Hi

I am just getting in to diving and im trying to by my equipment little by little,i found a set of conshelf xiv second stage regs with a conshelf xiv first stage reg for $100. can anyone tell me if this would be a good setup for a beginner and if this is reliable gear.
:confused:

Welcome to the board. As you can see there is always a little debate on such things.:)

While it is always possible to get a real dog the odds of a Conshelf being beyond repair is not likely, the things are tough. Look at it carefully, esp in the filter area. Remove a LP hose and look inside the LP port, green is bad, chrome is good. :) If it looks good in those 2 places- no green corrosion or other gunk, then odds are it's fine. Same goes for the second stage, inspect it looking for green corrosion, use a flashlight and look into the mouth piece or better yet remove the cover (one screw) and look inside. A little is OK on the outside of the reg or inside of the second stage.
It will need a complete rebuild just be on the safe side. Plan on another $100- 150 for that assuming the hoses are OK. Unlike some older regs, the Conshelf line is still very easy to get new parts for so there is no worry about buying it and not being able to get it serviced. When looking at older regs or lesser know brands for that matter, you need to keep service in mind.

Price wise, IMO it's a little too high, esp considering you will need to rebuild it, based on eBay sales, $50 ish is closer with $75 if you are getting 2 seconds. $100 would be a good deal IF it has been recently serviced and YOU CAN VERIFY IT (no trust me unless you really do trust the person).

JCAT, comparing the 109 to the Conshelf seconds it not a fair comparison. The 109 is adjustable, the Conshelf is not, a better model to compare it with is the non-adjustable 108. Those 2 are pretty much an equal comparison.

JCAT, comparing the 109 to the Conshelf seconds it not a fair comparison. The 109 is adjustable, the Conshelf is not, a better model to compare it with is the non-adjustable 108. Those 2 are pretty much an equal comparison.

The one I dove way back when was not adjustable, so it must have been a 108. Like I said, it was twenty years ago. Either way, it seemed to be a good reg.

Where are you guys going that you keep paying so much for regulator service? I usually service my own but on the not-too-often occasion that I have one serviced at my LDS it's never more than $75 for a first and two seconds. Usually less than that.

The per stage rate is all over the place but around here it's in the $25-35 range that $75-105 and add another $30ish in parts for a $105-135 bill. Add a hose or a mouthpiece or 2 and the bill easily goes over $150.

The one I dove way back when was not adjustable, so it must have been a 108. Like I said, it was twenty years ago. Either way, it seemed to be a good reg.

Where are you guys going that you keep paying so much for regulator service? I usually service my own but on the not-too-often occasion that I have one serviced at my LDS it's never more than $75 for a first and two seconds. Usually less than that.

I usually pay about $70 a year for my modern rig. That includes 1st and 2nds.

My oldest son recently had his Conshelf XI serviced and the cost was $40. First, and two seconds, including parts. But our LDS doesn't charge by stages. He has a flat service rate plus parts.

In case you're wondering how my son put an octo on his XI, he has a three-port swivel adapter on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom