Conshelf xiv ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went through a conshelf XI that a guy gave me. It's an older one, mid 60's. Everything looked really good. I flipped the second stage seat, the diaphram looked good, HP seat looked good, it needed an exhaust valve. My LDS sold me two of them fo 50 cents. I put it all together and hooked it up on a LP 2250 72 and it works great. I'm going to dive it as soon as the ocean lays down.
The ocean is my pool, I don't do inland chlorinated pools.

To the OP:
Get the Conshelf. Even if you don't dive it right away just get it. Those old regs are beautiful and will last forever. Some day you might get into Do It Yourself reg repair and service. Stick with this group on this board in the DIY and Vintage forums. They will really help you and demistify the whole reg service and rebuild thing. I found out there isn't really that much to it.
I would not be where I am now if it wasn't for these guys here on the vintage forum. They know more than any other group on this site (in all aspects of diving).

I just saw this post from Bryan at VDH:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Conshelf XIV service kits available

VDH is now offering full service kits for the Conshelf. They seem to include all the replaceable parts, including seats (both HP and LP), HP diaphragm, filter, etc.
Conshelf XIV Service kit [Conshelf XIV Service Kit] - $30.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Here are other single hose parts
Single Hose Parts : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Service manuals are also available on the download section of VDH and other sites on the web.

The Conshelf is about as rugged as a regulator can get. It is an easy regulator to service and if properly adjusted it can breath extremely well.

I do not recommend a beginner diver to service their own regulator since you have enough to learn just from diving, but anyone with some mechanical aptitude can learn how to service a regulator.

Thanks for the tip, Luis. The XIV parts will fit the other Conshelfs, too.

Thanks for the tip, Luis. The XIV parts will fit the other Conshelfs, too.

That is correct, all the Conshelf, Titan, and many other Aqua Lung / US Divers regulators use the same parts. Basically all the Aqua Lung diaphragm first stages use the same seat (and Voit, and many Mares) and some of the other parts.

Some of the individual parts (HP and LP seats, HP diaphragm, etc.) can be found under the VDH two stage double hose regulators parts. The Conshelf uses the same parts as a Royal aqua Master.
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38_33

Thank you for all the info everyone. i went ahead and bought the set so when it gets here i will inspect it and let yall know how i did.

here is a pic of the set.

Attachments

• aqualungbd.jpg
    aqualungbd.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 166
Thank you for all the info everyone. i went ahead and bought the set so when it gets here i will inspect it and let yall know how i did.

here is a pic of the set.

I don't think you could go wrong with those. The first thing I would do is get rid of those god damned hose protectors, good for nothing.

Get them properly serviced and they'll last you a lifetime.

This is a great regulator, as shown by the U.S. Naval Experimental Diving Unit tests published in 1980. I have two of the many graphs of this regulator below. You can get this report by going to this Rubicon Foundation site. At the bottom of the page is a link to download the entire 283 page PDF report, which shows how the criterion were devised, and how 1980 regulators performed.

Enjoy,

SeaRat

Attachments

• Conshelf XIV Breathing Resistance vs depth.jpg
    Conshelf XIV Breathing Resistance vs depth.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 80
  • Conshelf XIV Breathing Work.jpg
    Conshelf XIV Breathing Work.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks for all the info and posts folks. I have a Conshelf 14 that I got at a steal. I love it, but need it serviced.

well my equipment came in today. the secound stage reg and the octo look pretty good very little green inside and out but the first stage is scratched up pretty bad and the yoke looks like someone used vise grips to tighten it onto the din,but there is not any green inside the lp ports so i guess thats good.the surface of the first stage that contacts the tank valve o-ring is slightly scratched so i hope its not gona leak. i will have to wait and see since. i dont have a tank yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom