Considering a divemaster internship in Roatan/Utila....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsie66

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at becomming a divemaster in the Bay Islands, probably Utila, where I have looked closely at the Utila Dive Centre. Does anybody have experience of divemaster internships in the bay islands, if so, who did you do it with, how was it e.t.c.

UDC is okay, you are best to travel to your chosen location and check out the dive shops before making a commitment, not all diving instructors are cool.

The cost for the course on Roatan in $600.00usd plus books (PADI Divemaster & Encylopedia of Recreational Diving), last time I was on Utila the Divemaster program was $750.00, Utila is way cheaper for food, beer and shelter (20 something crowd and a lot of fun)

I hope you are NOT considering working as a Divemaster in a warm place, in tropical countries locals are employed as Divemasters so you are unlikely to find employment, temperate or cold water you will find employment. Club Med hires divemasters to be snorkel guides and a few others places for snorkelling, Norweigan Cruise Lines hires instructors to be snorkel guides, no diving.

Most dive centers use instructors as divemasters if a full time local divemaster is not required, this practice is called under-employment (another story)

I am instructor and returning to my real job in a few months, so being candid is not an issue for me. Instructors make about $200.00 per student, so selling the divemaster dream is something they want you to buy, do your research!!!

PM if you need more information.

[c]
howdy.gif
[/c]

Welcome to SB! Click Forums at the top and start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help...??

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:

Hi John! Welcome to Scubaboard.

I noticed from your profile you've dived in Roatan and a number of other places, including Thailand. Why not consider Thailand for your divemaster course?

We offer an all-inclusive divemaster internship that lets you go from your current level (I'm guessing Open Water or Advanced by the number of dives you stated you have...) to DM over the span of three months. During that time you get UNLIMITED diving. Go 7 days a week if you like! You also get 3 months accommodations, a full set of equipment to own (or a discount if you have your own gear already), your courses & certification fees, your choice of 3 packages of bonus courses to round out your experience plus a year of job placement services with our Jobs4Divers.com diving jobs employment agency.

Or, make the leap and go for instructor. It takes only 1 month longer!

Full details are on our website at DivingInstructorTraining.com. There you'll find a lot of information that shows why Aquanauts is the best choice for a PADI DM or Instructor internship. While we too get our share of 20-somethings, we have a wider range of ages and backgrounds with interns in their 30s and 40s (and older!) as well.

Pattaya also has the advantage of being a well-developed resort city. Basically, you get the enjoyment of living in a tropical beach town with the conveniences of city life, including 2 recompression chambers, 2 world-class hospitals, lots of cinemas, shopping and restaurants, and all at the very low prices Thailand is famous for.

Have a look at our site and see how it compares. We also have a toll-free number on the website to reach us at to ask questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom