Considering a trip to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the comments about Plaza Resort and Toucan Diving.
We have stayed there twice and enjoyed facilities.
My wife does not dive but enjoys pool and beach at Plaza.
They have an excellent breakfast buffet on property.

I went alone last year and stayed at Captain Don's and found them very nice and friendly. I would announce myself on the dive boat that I didn't have a dive buddy and if anyone need one I was there. I made friends with a couple so the 3 of teamed up, each time I had a great dive. I love Bonaire and hope to return soon. Been there only 3 time but I'm hooked. I'm going to Curacao in April so give the a try but it would be hard to beat Bonaire. As for dinning- always try the local places- the food down there is GREAT. I would eat at different places each day I was there.

Ray

Hi all,

Wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions.

Returned from Bonaire yesterday. Both my wife and I are divers, and it has to be one of the best dive destinations there is. All of the above posts are right on, including the one about beaches. I would highly reccomend Bonaire for someone who wants to dive a lot, but not for a non-diver. Little shopping, no great beaches, etc. I was with a group and stayed at Buddy Dive.

I would add that staying at a resort would be a better idea than renting a house or condo. They have a considerable crime issue on Bonaire and the resort provides a level of security. To give you an idea, if you lock your rental car, you void the insurance because that almost guarentees a break-in. You have to leave nothing in the vehicle and leave the windows down and the doors unlocked!

We had no problem, but a guy I know that rented a condo three weeks ago and had packed all his gear for an early morning departure. They broke into the condo and stole everything he had. Laptop, dive gear, wallet, passport. The door had been jimmied so many times, it couldn't be properly locked. I felt very secure in the Buddy Dive resort my entire trip.

Returned from Bonaire yesterday. Both my wife and I are divers, and it has to be one of the best dive destinations there is. All of the above posts are right on, including the one about beaches. I would highly reccomend Bonaire for someone who wants to dive a lot, but not for a non-diver. Little shopping, no great beaches, etc. I was with a group and stayed at Buddy Dive.

I would add that staying at a resort would be a better idea than renting a house or condo. They have a considerable crime issue on Bonaire and the resort provides a level of security. To give you an idea, if you lock your rental car, you void the insurance because that almost guarentees a break-in. You have to leave nothing in the vehicle and leave the windows down and the doors unlocked!

We had no problem, but a guy I know that rented a condo three weeks ago and had packed all his gear for an early morning departure. They broke into the condo and stole everything he had. Laptop, dive gear, wallet, passport. The door had been jimmied so many times, it couldn't be properly locked. I felt very secure in the Buddy Dive resort my entire trip.

:shakehead: Been to Bonaire 7 times and have always rented a house or a condo with no issues whatsoever. Buddy dive rents rooms. Call it a resort, apartment or condo they can be and have been broke into before. Staying at a resort is no safer than anywhere else if you use common sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom