Considering buying a pony/back-up tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, well that makes sense. I never really considered securing one's reg to one's mouth, but I am also not ready to go solo yet.

Two things I do know about the pony on/off question; I would always have a backmounted one turned on, and once I pick one approach or the other I will always train and use it following that approach.
I have thought about keeping the reg bungeed in my mouth even with a buddy, hoping he will go for my octo if out of gas. Benefit being you could go unconscious for some reason while buddy diving, he doesn't notice right away, and you inhale a bunch of water.
Probably shouldn't be a problem if you stay real close as buddies, but that's another thread.

Travel adds a different aspect to the pony. You have to take the reg off so the cylinder can be verified as empty (of anything, not just air). A lot of dive shops will be hesitant, or even refuse, to fill it. So the logical method is transfill from the rental tank, typically an AL80. Weight is also a consideration when you're taking your gear, not renting anything.
While there is a group of folks that think the SpareAir is a waste, I think any extra air is better than none. As others have pointed out, know your sac rate and understand the limitations of a small bottle. For me, it is strictly a bailout bottle. We don't push NDL limits. If it's possible, we'll be buddy breathing. If not, the 6cu bottle should get me to the surface, no SS, at a safe ascent rate, from 90'. If I had to start deeper, it should make the CESA start pretty close to the surface.
Whatever size you go with, the advice to practice should be heeded. If you need it, you want to be automatic in deployment.
H2Odyssey has a system that works on any size standard scuba tank (this is what I have). For travel, I take the 6cu. For local, I use the 13cu. If I had the other 3 pounds available under the 50 pound weight limit for the luggage, I'd take the 13cu (she usually uses that all up).
SpareAir only works on their tanks, currently only 1.7 and 3cu. However, according to SSI, they plan on having a 6cu out sometime this year.
Whatever you go with, don't ever think of it as a way to have more bottom time; it's a bailout bottle!

Back
Top Bottom