Continuing Education for the “experienced” OWI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craiger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

I have accumulated over 200 dives. Dozens deeper than 80 fsw. Most of these in visibility less than 25’ and in water temp usually between 45 and 65 degrees. I consider myself to have excellent buoyancy control.

My original training was 20 years ago taught by a State College (not contracted out) as part of their upper level PE department. The class was 13 weeks long with weekly class room lecture including diving physics, physiology, planning etc. We also had weekly in water skills. 6 pool sessions and seven ocean. This basically included the old NAUI OW1, OW2, Rescue. However, the class only received the OW1 cert.

I know a lot has changed since then so I find myself wanting to take some continuing education classes like rescue again and wreck and possibly others. The problem I face is that many classes taught by most of the LDS’s require AOW or “equivalent agency certification” as a prerequisite for these classes.

I’ve considered taking an AOW type class to meet the prerec but when I’ve researched most of these classes it appears that they are typically geared towards divers just out of OW1 with very little experience. I’d love to take an “Advanced” class if it is truly advanced. If I take a class I really want to learn not just collect C cards.

So basically my question is, what continuing education is available to the “experienced” OW1 diver that will be challenging as well as educational?

Thanks,

The standards vary with the agency. PADI used to accept 20 logged dives as equivalent to AOW but I do not think they do any longer. SDI accepts 40 logged dives as equivalent to their Advanced certification.

Try a NAUI shop and the Master Diver Course. It says "advanced certification or equivalent are required...ensure adequate student knowledge and capability."

If you have a decent log of your dives, the shop may accepet you after an evaluation dive.

Try the PADI Master scuba diver course If you already have over 200 dives a rescue course or divemaster course might be up your alley. Both can be quite challenging if given by the right instructor.

Try the PADI Master scuba diver course

Why waste money on 5 PADI speciaties, AOW, and a dumb C card that carries no value other than show off.

I would say do the Naui master diver course, or if it is not available, do a dive master program with a local agency. At least you are forced to learn new skills and acquire interesting knowledge that help you as a diver.

Unfortunately AOW is a stepping stone that is required for continuing education with most agencies, maybe all agencies.

If you want a challenging class the GUE DIR-F fits the bill, but is NOT a replacement for AOW in the eyes of any training angency with the exception of maybe GUE.

Rescue is a class that all experienced divers can learn from. It has less to do with diving (assumiing one has good diving skills), and more to do with rescue, and task loading.

I would find a good instructor/LDS, and talk with them. If you want continuing education, you need to talk to a training agency that you are interested in to determine what they are going to required. However the general answer is going to be AOW, Rescue, DM, AI, Instructor, and beyond if that is the path you want to take.

In many cases, AOW is required to take con-ed courses. You can skip it in a few, but at some point, you are going to need it. What I would suggest is to interview instructors, and find one that would structure an AOW that would be challenging for you. It would be a private class, and cost more, but it may be worth it to you.

PADI requires a deep and a navigation dive and give specific perameters for those dives. That doesn't mean the other 3 that are required can be based on something that may be more challenging for you. Also, I think SSI required more dives for their AOW.

Again, I would base your decision on the instructor, and what he/she can structure for you to make the class meaningful.

I don't know what you have locally, but if you're up for a road trip, come up to Seattle and take NW Grateful Diver's AOW class. It's a fantastic class, capable of challenging almost anybody who takes it (including people with tech training).

Otherwise, I would highly recommend GUE's Fundamentals, if you're interested in a challenge. You're lucky enough to have a local GUE instructor, Michael Kane, who teaches the classes on a regular basis.

If you want a great class, see if you can get into the L.A. County Advanced Diver Program. Google will give you the next class start date.

PADIs prerequisites list "AOW or the equivalent" pretty much accross the board. I for one, and I suspect many instructors who have been at it as long as I have would agree, would not hesitate to grant equivalance to a sufficiently experienced diver.

I would do some pre-evaluation work with the student to ensure that the skill level is indeed where the student claims.

As a side note, I think that 200 dives in 20 years is little more that what is required to maintain competence, I know quite a few people who average over 100 dives per year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom