Continuing Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The AOW course as layed out by PADI is "Adventures in Diving" and gives you a taste (the first class) of different diving under the watchful eyes of an instructor .. so AOW it is not,

Nope... AOW it is.

What it isn't is an Advanced Diving course. But it doesn't claim to be. It's an Advanced Open Water course. Open Water being 'entry level' training.

It's wrong to expect any sort of spectacular leap in skill requirement from OW to AOW.

Well - having read this thing front to end now I'll say this.

I plan to continue reading. Be it books, fora or the back of a cereal box, I'm gonna read it. I plan to dive more often. I am also taking a Nitrox course as a minimum. Mostly because I want the advantages Nitrox offers. Will that make me a better diver? Dunno but it's what I want to do. Been checking out rescue diver as well.

I got certified in 2000. Didn't do a single dive after certification (mostly because it iced over about a month after I got my card).
AOW in 2011 - almost a full year after initial certification. Learned quite a bit. Mostly because our "deep" dive was to 117 feet and the viz was in the neighborhood of 9 inches. What I learned is that the largest asset I had as a new diver was the space betwix my ears. Both in and out of the water. I dropped out of diving after that. I did pick up the occasional magazine or book though.

Fast forward to this spring. I'm dating a new lady, she showed interest in scuba so we signed up again. The second I hit the water it came back to me. It had been about 10 years since I dove and I performed all the skills to the instructor in one shot, no repeats and If I may say - my buoyancy control was better than it was back 10 years ago. Probably because I knew better now what I wanted to do and why/how rather than just parrot the instructor well enough to pass.

It's lit the fire under me that now as an older student and MUCH wiser, I know where I am and where I am headed.

I find the classes fun because I LIKE my instructor (went back to the same guy), I like the people that dive at the shop, I like learning. I find these boards interesting because I can expand my exposure to how things are done. I don't claim to be DIR but I can see a lot of things there that REALLY make sense to me - re gear config. I learned that here/reading and not because I saw it on a boat somewhere. That (to me) means that reading things like this doesn't mean you've learned or mastered a skill but it does have value. I'm going to incorporate that into the diving I do. If it works - I'll keep it, if not, I'll modify it till it does. That's learning. IMO and that's CONED.

YMMV...

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom