Converting an Abyss to a 7' hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcist21

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to convert my Abyss to a 7' hose, but no one seems to know what adapter to get to do this? Can someone help out? As a bump for the Abyss, I bought it a year ago and while gearing up for more technical diving I switched to the Atomic B2/M1 combo. I now want to go back the Abyss because I think it just breathes easier than my overpriced Atomic set, but still need a seven foot set-up.

Thanks,
Zach

Adapter? Does your regulator take a non-standard hose fitting? If not, just buy a 7' hose, unscrew the old one, and screw in the new one. It's not rocket science.

Adapter? Does your regulator take a non-standard hose fitting? If not, just buy a 7' hose, unscrew the old one, and screw in the new one. It's not rocket science.

ScubaPro hoses and regs require special wrenches, but I did not know any other brand does.

Like MSilvia said, just screw off the old hose, presumably with any small adjustible crescent wrench, and then screw on the new one.

You can get various lengths of 2nd-stage hoses at any dive store. They are normally fitted with standard hexagonal nuts at the end, which then screw onto the 2nd stage's hollow screw-lug.

The 7 ft lenght is nice for DPVs. But the extra length over a 5 ft hose is sometimes annoying. You may want to play with all 3 sizes (5', 6', and 7') and decide which fits you the best.

However if you plan to get a DPV, then definitely go with a 7 ft length and just deal with the excess hose.

I appreciate your input, but the Mares Abyss does not use a standard hose/connection. This is for tech/cave diving and 7' hose is the requirement which I already run with the Atomic set-up. Thanks for the instruction on how to use a crescent wrench?? Now anyone with some actual experience with the Abyss? Does the hose have to be a custom hose from Mares?

narcist,

Sorry for posting late, but i'm checking to see if we still have the 7' hose. I think we used to sell not many of them. :) I'll try to get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks Zak. Appreciate any info. you can provide.

Zach

If Zak cannot obtain one, then contact Joel at www.techdivinglimited.com He will be able to tell you if their hose will fit the DFC port of the Abyss. I have seen a number of divers using a 7' hose on their MR22 primary reg, so there has to be a 0.5" that will provide the necessary clearance.

Greg Barlow

If Zak cannot obtain one, then contact Joel at www.techdivinglimited.com He will be able to tell you if their hose will fit the DFC port of the Abyss. I have seen a number of divers using a 7' hose on their MR22 primary reg, so there has to be a 0.5" that will provide the necessary clearance.

Greg Barlow
No doubt about it- I've gotten 7' and 40" hoses from my LDS, but I just leave the ordering details to them. :D

Thanks guys, I'll check out techdivinglimited if Zak can't find me one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom