cook islands info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hope this was the right place to ask this. I am looking for a vacation place to dive during March, and just noticed that the cook islands are not that far past Hawaii. Has anyone dove there? what does it compare to in other areas of the carribean? I did a search here, but didn't come up with much.

I dove in the Cook Islands in January 2002, at Aitutaki atoll. Although I would highly recommend going to Aitutaki (the most beautiful atoll I've seen to date) for the largely-intact culture and stunning vistas, the seaward reefs and ecosystem weren't that impressive. Coral is drab brown or grey, as are many of the fish, explained in large part by a coral die-off last decade during El Nino warm spells. I don't remember seeing too many soft corals. Lots of fishing pressure for reef fish (tackle and spear) except for some legally protected areas within the extensive lagoon and inward reef. But the blue sea trolling there was impressive. Lots of yellowfin, wahoo, skipjack and baitfish b/c not too many international fishing fleets can bypass the local coast guard. Snorkeling in the protected areas, however, was among the best I've seen anywhere, including Belize and Hawaii. Flights to the Cooks (you have to enter through Rarotonga) are a bit pricey, around $1000 from California. Air New Zealand is the major carrier, and I believe at one point they had a flight from Honolulu, around a six hour flight. Nine hours from California, with departures from LAX and recently SFO.

I've attached some photos (copyrighted, sorry to add) from Aitutaki atoll: outrigger in the fringing lagoon, first view of the atoll islands (motus) from the plane, traditional dancers (the best in the South Pacific, IMO), a beach scene, and a spinner dolphin. Aside from the diving, Aitutaki was my dream vacation.

The cook Islands (topside) is like Hawaii was 40 years ago. its a wonderful place to go.

as for the diving its similar to Hawaii which in my opinion is not that good. If you have never dove anywhere else tropical you will enjoy it.

I would recommend staying at the Manuia Beach Resort

Julie

diverrick:
I hope this was the right place to ask this. I am looking for a vacation place to dive during March, and just noticed that the cook islands are not that far past Hawaii. Has anyone dove there? what does it compare to in other areas of the carribean? I did a search here, but didn't come up with much.

Went there for my honeymoon in 97. Fantastic water clarity, but not much to see. Diving in Hawaii, Florida or GBR is much better. Islands are nice though, had a great time.

I dived the Cooks 2x in the 2001 & 2002. Did both Rarotonga and Aitutaki both trips.
Raro - diving disappointing. The coral is bleached and dead due to ElNino and infestation of Crown of Thorns. Also, weather was cold and wet (both trips were in October). I did have a fantastic close encounter with a humpback whale and calf that almost made up for it though - and the dive operator I went with (Graham and Christina of Pacific Divers) was great.
Aitutaki - better diving and the only dive operation on the island (Neil at Aitutaki Scuba) is good - especially if you go out with Nathan, who knows the reefs and guides you to some great spots. The coral is less damaged here but still not up to top South Pacific standard.
Both islands are great places topside - with good accommodations, excellent dining, great island shows and very friendly people. The pace of life is very laid back and as yet no sign of large chain hotels, fast food restaurants and the other accountremonts of 'civilization'. My husband and I really enjoyed time without telephone or television.
The idea of going to the Cooks from Hawaii sounds good but I don't think it's really very practical or economical - although I believe Aloha Airlines is starting (or planning to start) some runs that may change that around.
We have since discovered Fiji, so now bypass the Cooks when we go anywhere farther than Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom