Correct fit for Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm Shorty - how tight is too tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lalittle

Registered
Reaction score
I purchased a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm shorty from a local shop recently, and I'm trying to determine if the one I got is truly the right size for me. This is new to me, so I don't have a point of reference for how tight it should feel. I've been searching the web for info on this, but I'm still not sure how to proceed.

I'm 6', about 184lbs (I tend to fluctuate between 175 and 185 or so.) I wear 32" waist jeans, but my actual waist measurement is more around 34". My chest is around 40" to 41".

I would have thought that these measurements would put me in a Medium, but everybody at the shop felt that the Small fit me better (the L was clearly too big.) They felt that the M was not a "bad" fit, but that the S simply fit "better" with fewer/smaller pockets of space (wrinkles) around my arm/upper chest area when I moved my arms around. They described the fit of the S on me as appearing to be "the way a wetsuit is supposed to fit."

The consensus between about 4 people at the shop gave me confidence that the S is the right fit, but when I try it on, it just feels REALLY tight around my arm pits and chest. The S does have a smaller empty space at the small of my back, which will equate to more warmth (which is the whole point), but I'm concerned about circulation due to over-constriction, as well as wear (I don't want to put too much stress on the seams.) Both sizes seem to fit fine below the belt area -- it's just the upper body that seems to be a problem due to my relatively narrow waist along with somewhat wider shoulders.

I snorkeled with the S size suit the other day, and while I would not describe it as "so tight I couldn't stand it," I was definitely always "aware" of how tight it was (i.e. I didn't just "forget" about it.) I went back and tried the M in the shop, and it was definitely more comfortable (in the shop), but the people at the shop still felt that the S was a better fit, and that a suit that's "comfortable in the shop" will often be "too loose in the water." They were very friendly and had no problem with me exchanging the S for the M, but after having me try on the two suits back and forth a bit, they still felt that the S was the "right one" for me. The M had a little extra room around the arms/collar bone area that struck them as a potential problem. The S was definitely more of a "second skin," but it puts more pressure across my chest, which I can feel a bit more than the M when I breath. The S also feels particularly tight in the arm pits. The problem is that I just don't know what "too tight" feels like, or how tight the suit should be under my arms.

I ended up leaving with the S again, but I'm wearing it again right now, and I'm once again unsure. My body seems to be right in between these two sizes, so I'm interested in getting more feedback on this issue, perhaps from others who've had similar experiences with this suit (3mm Hyperstretch shorty.) Does it really seem normal for someone my size to wear a small? Am I simply not use to the way a wetsuit is supposed to feel, or is my reaction that it feels too tight something I should heed? Will it stretch out over time?

Thanks for any feedback on this issue,

Larry

PS. Is it okay to mention the dive shop on this particular forum? I didn't mention it since I wasn't sure what the rule was on this. Thanks.

Last edited:
I purchased a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm shorty from a local shop recently, and I'm trying to determine if the one I got is truly the right size for me. This is new to me, so I don't have a point of reference for how tight it should feel. I've been searching the web for info on this, but I'm still not sure how to proceed.

I'm 6', about 184lbs (I tend to fluctuate between 175 and 185 or so.) I wear 32" waist jeans, but my actual waist measurement is more around 34". My chest is around 40" to 41".

I would have thought that these measurements would put me in a Medium, but everybody at the shop felt that the Small fit me better (the L was clearly too big.) They felt that the M was not a "bad" fit, but that the S simply fit "better" with fewer/smaller pockets of space (wrinkles) around my arm/upper chest area when I moved my arms around. They described the fit of the S on me as appearing to be "the way a wetsuit is supposed to fit."

Does it really seem normal for someone my size to wear a small? Am I simply not use to the way a wetsuit is supposed to feel, or is my reaction that it feels too tight something I should heed? Will it stretch out over time?

I have the same suit in large. 6'1", 205#, 35"W, 44"C. Fits very well. It even fits good when I'm at my "correct" weight of 190. If it feels too tight to you, it is. Your size and Henderson's size chart suggests a medium or even medium-large. (Wearing a small might even make your voice change.)

It is true that as suits get thinner fitters will be more fanatical about getting that skin tight fit. After all with minimal rubber there is less tolerance for water movement.

You are certainly looking for a "hint of compression" all over. You should expect to see the stitching imprinted in your skin after a dive or an hour of surfing the web.

You keep coming back to the armpits... What happens when you extend you arms out to the sides and then reach for the stars? There should be very little impediment compared to your birthday suit. If you feel like you are becoming a human slingshot then the fit is wrong.

You also mention pressure across the chest that you can feel when you breathe. That effect really wants to be minimal but may be noticeable to a new user getting used to a wetsuit. How long did you snorkel in the suit? If you felt any rib or chest area pain afterwards then the suit was definitely fighting you and needs to go.

My guess is that for your height and weight you are looking at the wrong suits or sizes. What you may need is a suit from another brand and probably one like Bare or Pinnacle that has size variants such as a tall version to put more length into the torso without growing the girth. Switching brands may make a big difference as patters are proportioned differently.

Pete

It's a hard one to call without seeing it. Perhaps you're just not used to how a suit should feel. Or maybe it's really too tight, and the people in the shop are overzealous about how tight it should fit and assume when you say it's tight that you're just a new diver who isn't used to it - I've definitely seen that happen.

I would expect a 3mm Hyperstretch to be a pretty comfortable thing, so my guess is this isn't the right suit for you. I agree that you probably should be looking at other brands, they do all fit differently. But a small in any brand, or even a medium, doesn't sound right for your size and weight.

Sounds like you have a case of the try to get off the rack when your body type says custom fit. If this is a hyper stretch and it still feels binding after you are wet, get the Med. Have the shop take your measurments. Add some digital photos of the areas in question. Mark the outline on the areas needing attention. Hendersons fee for tailoring an off the rack is very reasonable.

You could also try another brand. Each one seems to model for a certain body type. Try the Body Glove, super stretch or whatever THEY call it. They tend to model after the surfer body type. Narrow waist, regular legs, bigger chest and upper body area. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

It feels about the same regardless of where my arms are -- i.e. if I reach above my head it doesn't' really feel any tighter, and in fact it might actually feel a bit better when I reach up.

The shop was also a bit surprised that the S appeared to fit better based on my measurements -- they asked if I was "sure" that I was 180lbs (and I'm actually 184.) Their issue was mainly with the folds in front of my shoulder area when reaching forward a bit -- how much of this should their be? They also pointed out that the M had a larger space at the small of my back and more folds in my mid section when bending.

I'd rather not get into custom tailoring at this time since I'm already over the budget I wanted to spend -- I'd prefer to get the best fitting of these two suits and just go with that for now. Later I can get more into fine tuning if needed.

I did wear the S around the house for a couple hours last night without any adverse effects, so it's not like it's miserable -- it's just really tight, and I don't have any point of reference to what feels "correct" yet. I'm sure this will come with time, but for now, I need to decide on one or the other.

Thanks again for feedback,

Larry

Everyone has made good points here--different suits will fit differently, etc.

I'll throw in one thought, with a caveat. You might go with the Medium, then wear a small, inexpensive 1 mil or less armless vest under it to fit in any loose areas. This does increase your coverage for warmth at the core, if that's something you want. It would also slightly increase your buoyancy. (The caveat is that yes, I realize it's a solution that may be more easily solved by the ideas already stated).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom