Correct use of the word "American"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... I used to tell folks I was a "Gringo" from "Gringolandia" .... Usually got a laugh and good will followed... (I am an expat who lived in El Salvador for many years and am now working in East Asia... It does not work here...

Given how far this thread has drifted, perhaps I should have admitted it up front. I have both USA and Mexican Citizenship, but in reality I'll never be anything but a Texan, or maybe Texican!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I agree with you and the logic and illogical reasons - BUT - it is that way around here and some of the local people get VERY offended when people from the USA refer to themselves as "Americans" implying htat the Mexican people are not "Americans."

On all of my immigration documents, which they are very strict about as well - we are "Norteamericanos" - which I agree is silly - but it is what it is.

Love it- offended if you don't include them in the group "Americans" but totally okay to not be included in the group "North Americans".

but in reality I'll never be anything but a Texan
I don't know what to do about this. I've been out of Texas long enough now (9 years) that I don't think I can claim it anymore. But I don't think Iowa will let me say I'm an Iowan until I stop saying "Y'all" and asking "What kind of Coke do you want?" And I am not going to do either of those things.

Yeah, wherever I've been - if asked where I was from: Texas. Not that they had to ask really.

Not so. "American" means US citizen. If you mean "North Americans" then OK but who uses that term?
I lived and worked in Peru for the better part of a year. When I was briefed by my company on what to expect, how to behave, etc. during my time there I was emphatically instructed never to refer to myself as "American" as opposed to the people who live there.

Dear Gordon,

I hope Texan was OK.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Gordon,

I hope Texan was OK.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Of course. When I was in Peru, I was rarely asked what country I was from; I think it was obvious. But whenever a Peruvian would ask one of us what part of the USA we were from, no matter what we said, the followup question was always "Is that near Texas?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom