Corrosion/Rust Spots on the DIN Threads on ST1 First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there a reason for the forming of corrosion/rust spots on the ST1's first stage DIN threads? I clean the regulator (rinsing and soaking) and tried to remove this corrosion with a toothbrush but it won't go away.

M0014018.jpgM0014017.jpgM0014016.jpgM0014015.jpgM0014014.jpg

While I can't say for sure, I'm going to venture a guess this is the same stuff that slowly builds up inside surfaces of the SS inflators on my Halcyon wings (yes, I know they'll eventually try to kill me; no, I don't care because I like them too much). Basically, it's rust of ferrous scale building up on the SS component, deposited by the water in which you're diving--the SS component itself is not rusting. Given that this is a part where that stuff is being ground between the threads, I'm not surprised it's hard to get off.

I can second this.. I take care of my stuff and the threads are showing rust as well.

I had this exact same problem with my brand new Yoke ST1. I was diving on a liveaboard two weeks ago and on the second or third day of diving I noticed it. I took it into the shop I got it from as soon as I got home. They put some christo lube on it and brushed it with a brass toothbrush and it came right off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom